Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How much food for a big 7 month old?

(6 Posts)
minicommandant Sat 23-Apr-05 10:47:27

DS is over 9kg and I didn't start weaning onto solids until he was 6 months. I've used Annabel Karmel roughly, but have been finding that his sleep has been awful over the last few weeks. Then realised that I was following the quantities for a baby who has been eating solids for a month or so, even though everyone assumes that you started at 4 months, so these are quantities for a 5 month old and he is therefore probably waking up hungry. HV hopeless with "every baby different", non-committal answer, so can anyone please give me a rough idea of how much he should be eating? He currently has about 10 teasp of a babyrice/fruit mix for breakfast, about 5 icecubes of mix of veg and protein for lunch and about 5 cubes of mix of veg and come kind of carb for tea and drinks about half a small beaker of water in total throughout the day, aswell as having 4 (or 5 if I cave in in the night) breastfeeds per day. Also, any tips on whether to try to reduce the milk first to make him hungry for the solids, or really push the solids first to take his mind of the milk?

colditz Sat 23-Apr-05 11:00:11

If I were you, I would just feed him as much as he wants to eat, in 4 or 5 meals a day.

Halfway through a feed is sometimes a good time to give solids, although this can irritate some babies.

Sorry, not much more helpful than the HV!

Twiglett Sat 23-Apr-05 18:59:00

feed him till he stops eating or refuses it

(I find it funny that minicommandant was answered by colditz ... must go get a life)

NotQuiteCockney Sun 24-Apr-05 09:42:14

That's loads of food, I wouldn't be in any rush to give more than that!

My DS2 is 8.5kg, and (just) 7 months. I didn't start solids until a week or so before 6 months, but he didn't get the knack of it for about 4 weeks. So he's only been eating solids for a week and a half. He has 2 cubes per day, in one meal. He has a few breadsticks, or table scraps, at other times. (He likes big chunks of chicken.) I don't know how many times I feed him per day, but I think it's more than 4.

From what I know, anyway, breast milk (or formula) is meant to be the main source of calories until a year. Obviously, you're following his lead, so it's the right amount for him. There's no need to push him to take more.

Sponge Sun 24-Apr-05 10:01:05

I agree, sounds like qute a lot already.
My ds is 8.5 months and weaned properly for say 8 weeks. He's not as big as yours but has about 2/3 weetabix for breakfast and 4 cubes of whatever for lunch and tea followed by pudding (little yoghurt or some fruit). He has a big milk feed at bedtime and another when he wakes up and one or two other small ones during the day.
One thing we still do is the dreamfeed. Bedtime is too soon after teatime for him to drink that much milk (5/5.30pm-7.30pm) so we bath him and put him to bed after tea and then give him his milk just before we go to bed at about 10/10.30. He doesn't really wake up but drinks a whole bottle and the sleeps through.
Perhaps it's timing rather than quantity?

minicommandant Thu 28-Apr-05 16:15:53

thank you all. funny how you should trust your instincts, but cant! i just felt that it wasnt enough even though it sounded plenty. he's eating loads more now and much more enthusiastically, but was just a bit poorly i think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now