Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do Chewits have the same E numbers as Fruit Shoots?!

(12 Posts)
GeorginaA Fri 22-Apr-05 14:57:27

Have severely restricted Fruit Shoots from our house because ds1 just goes hyper when he has them.

This afternoon he's bouncing off the walls and is behaving very OTT... trying to work out if he's just suddenly had a burst of hormonal 4 year old boyness or whether the 3 chewits he was allowed from the remnants of the party bag earlier has similar additives that have made him go crazy.

Any similar experiences?

WigWamBam Fri 22-Apr-05 15:00:34

Probably the chewitts. My sister's son had behavioural problems caused by food additives (among other things) and chewitts were one of the worse offenders.

JanH Fri 22-Apr-05 15:03:16

They will do, yes, GA. I don't know why labelled, wrapped sweets have to have colours at all

GeorginaA Fri 22-Apr-05 15:03:41

Oddly I feel quite relieved - at least it can be attributed to something!

JanH Fri 22-Apr-05 15:09:12

According to netmums (scroll down) chewits do have toxic colours, but I looked at the pdf file and it only shows carmoisine - E122. Hmmm.

GeorginaA Fri 22-Apr-05 15:10:59

E163 on our packet... don't know what that is though.

GeorginaA Fri 22-Apr-05 15:19:43

Bloomin' heck JanH - just looking at that list of guilty foods!

Gawd, if these affect him I'm going to have to become a veritable food nazi aren't I

He's just been laughing at his screaming brother (ds2 has teething pain today) - so uncharacteristic, he'd normally be trying to calm ds2 down.

JanH Fri 22-Apr-05 15:22:40

anthocyanins .

That is a big help (not)!

Full list of E numbers with naughty ones highlighted.

JanH Fri 22-Apr-05 15:25:09

Actually I wonder if they are using anthocyanins now, instead of the carmoisine (because that is purple too) - maybe chewits are basically OK now from a colour POV. Will have to check a packet next time I shop.

GeorginaA Fri 22-Apr-05 15:28:25

Yes, does look like it's a natural extract. So what's turned him loopy, ffs?!

JanH Fri 22-Apr-05 15:33:43

Was he at nursery today? Might he have had something there?

GeorginaA Fri 22-Apr-05 15:47:36

Well I asked him if he had squash there... he says not, but it is a possibility... seemed okay on pick up though, was only after.... oh hang on...

anyone know the additives in a tin of macaroni cheese?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now