Talk

Advanced search

what cereals do you give

(23 Posts)
melsy Thu 21-Apr-05 08:38:07

Just wondering as soooo many have sugar and salt in , its hard to find good ones. I got told of by freind in rl for giving bran flakes , cos its to much fibre for theire bodys and makes them to full up, is this true ???

TracyK Thu 21-Apr-05 08:38:50

I give ds mini shreddies - don't know if they're ok or not??

flamesparrow Thu 21-Apr-05 08:39:50

DD is normally on plain rice crispies. I don't know or care how much salt or sugar they have in them.... we can worry too much.

anchovies Thu 21-Apr-05 08:40:10

Shreddies here too. Or porridge or weetabix.

Says she tucking into a giant size bowl of cinammon grahams!!!

TracyK Thu 21-Apr-05 08:43:06

the only thing i don't like about weetabix is - try and get the damn stuff off the underside of your table the next day - it's like superglue!! what does it do to the tummies??

albert Thu 21-Apr-05 08:43:15

I agree with flamesparrow - we can worry too much. DS has Cheerios, cornflakes or rice crispies but usually has toast and honey or cheese for breakfast. Frankly I feel that as long as he eats something in the morning I'm happy, and remember, many of the cereals are reinformeced with extra vitamins and minerals so it can't be a bad thing...can it?

flamesparrow Thu 21-Apr-05 08:43:43

Sorry.. mine sounded a bit bitter there .

It wasn't meant to be so blunt sounding!

Pinotmum Thu 21-Apr-05 08:44:30

My two normally get rice krispies and now and then Coco pops . Please don't tell social services

melsy Thu 21-Apr-05 08:48:05

not being cereal police !! just wanted some new ideas for mornings, and never heard of the bran flake thing b4 . Keep giving weetabix/ cheerios. .

Enid Thu 21-Apr-05 08:55:39

my two are addicted to the yogurty bran flakes. Neither of them will have milk in their cereal (although dd2 will have it in her porridge, dd1's hatred of milk is such that she retches at the sight of porridge) so they have it dry with a drink of water on the side - sounds like prison rations I know but that is what they like . They even have dry weetabix

Prufrock Thu 21-Apr-05 09:03:47

I do think cereals are important actually - it just seems such an unneccessary source of extra salt and sugar.
Weetabix are good, and shredded wheat. I think a small bowl of bran flakes is fine - it's not like you are giving them at every meal. Sainsburys own-brand Raisin Wheats have very low salt and sugar, and no preservatives. Or - if you want to be super healthy, you could stock up on lots of different grains/dried fruits from your local health food shop and make up your own tub of muesli - dd loves identifying the different bits in hers.

flamesparrow Thu 21-Apr-05 09:04:49

I used to like buttered weetabix!

pacinofan Thu 21-Apr-05 09:16:00

Weetabix, but since reading Jamie Oliver's ideas in the Daily Mail this week and watching his tv series, have started dd on porridge. Sor far so good. I don't tend to worry too much about which cereal and am quite happy when she shares dh's shredded wheat. The one thing I do hate is ending up with a kitchen cupboard with 5 or 6 half-full cereal boxes 'cos family have 'gone off them'!

Bozza Thu 21-Apr-05 09:53:33

DD - Asda version of ready brek
DS - Asda version of weetabix
Me - Asda porridge oats
DH - Asda bran flakes

Don't do brands much and stick to fairly healthy cereals. Am thinking of stopping DDs ready brek now that she is nearly one and giving her either porridge or weetabix. She sometimes as a few dry bran flakes as finger food while the rest of us finish breakfast.

colditz Thu 21-Apr-05 10:00:49

I am the mother who buys Muddles for my 2 year old !!![shock

puddle Thu 21-Apr-05 10:15:52

My ds has bran flakes mixed half and half with cornfalkes. He loves it. He's 5. I think the fibre thing is only an issue in under 2s isnt it?

I try and buy the plainer ones so they have krispies, weetabix, shreddies. Suagr feree Alpen also a favourite They both adore Raisin wheats too but they are a treat - expensive and don't last long.

littlerach Thu 21-Apr-05 10:31:21

Enid, DD1 used to have dry muesli!!!

lunavix Thu 21-Apr-05 10:32:39

Ds (1 year) has:
Cheerios with milk and banana (although he has many handfuls of cheerios asa snack during the day too)
Weetabix with milk and banana
Porridge with banana and figs (made with water)
or Porridge with apple and dates (made with water)

iota Thu 21-Apr-05 10:35:12

I've tried everything on mine - even cookie crisps - cheerios seems to be the favourite, but only about once a fortnight....I'm an "eat something, ANYTHING, just eat something" kind of mother.

Peachyclair Thu 21-Apr-05 10:58:09

Sometimes the extra nutty cereal 9for ds1 and ds2, ds3 wont eat anything before ten except a banana). Have to interweave others or they get bored- we're on fimbles right now (the cereal, not mashed fluffy freaks -lol ).

Also give eggs (boiled and scrambled), porridge in winter, toast when cupboard is bare- they always get something nutritious, never anything I know is too salty, and I am happy with that.

Milk for ds2 to drink, soya for ds1, enfamil for ds3. Confusing that!!

TwoIfBySea Fri 22-Apr-05 21:46:45

Melsy I have found that if you avoid the brand names and buy the shops own they can usually have less sugar and salt in them. Also some cereal have trans-fats yet the shops own don't so I buy them.

Dst love weetabix with milk, banana and raisins or porridge with the same added in! I have tried others but after a few mornings they want their old favourites back.

jodee Fri 22-Apr-05 21:48:52

DS has had Tesco's (not Value) weetabix every morning for at least three years, followed by marmite on toast. He's not one for trying new food, as you can probably guess!

Evesmama Fri 22-Apr-05 21:49:20

weetabix
shreddies
muddles
special K
alpen

shes a cereal monster like me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now