Talk

Advanced search

Help... Fussy 3yo

(5 Posts)
emmielou Tue 19-Apr-05 21:02:54

My DD lives on a limited diet.. cereal, most fruit, cheese, ham, yogurts, sausages, chicken nuggets, fish fingers

Any ideas on how I can get her to eat a more varied diet...?

Have just started cutting her sandwiches into different shapes which seems to be working.. Have got her to eat tuna and egg with this method..

LostMum Sun 08-May-05 21:00:51

I can't believe that no-one has responded to your thread yet. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be much help as I seem to be in the same position as you.

I have realised that DD (now 6), who was once a very healthy eater, would only eat nuggets, pizza, chips and yoghurts if I let her and I feel that I have really let her down. The situation has become more apparent as DS (20 months) seems to be going the same way.

I have been sitting here this afternoon pouring over cookery books looking for some ideas as to how to change this to a healthier eating style, to no avail.

The only thing I can think of to start is to build on what you have got. I am planning to start with something that I know she will eat - chicken nuggets. I am going to try a gradual step to grilled chicken strips, then to chicken strips with some noodles or rice etc,etc. When I have made progress with one type of food, I hope to introduce another and see how it goes.

This may take a long time, but I guess I have to fight against 4 years or so of bad eating.

Let me know if you have any ideas to try.

saadia Sun 08-May-05 21:47:22

Try giving her a bowl with chopped veg - cucumber, carrot, radishes, sweetcorn, steamed broccoli - she might be enticed by the colours, also depending on how old she is you could give her walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds and raisins. Has she tried pasta or rice?

She does seem to be getting enough protein and it's very good she eats fruit.

grumpyfrumpy Tue 10-May-05 12:26:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mellie14 Tue 10-May-05 13:06:43

My ds (3) is just like this, he looks like a sausage roll, which is all he ate for a whole year! At nursery they tell me he eats fish pie and all sorts but I have yet to believe them! I cook 3 chicken breasts - spice ours up and leave one plain, chop half up and make up bisto and put a couple of frozen yorkshires in the oven. He eats that. He loves Mattisons smoked sausage and turkey breast. Yesterday he just ate ham. I guess he'll never be a vegetarian. I keep giving him raisins, apples and fruit juice and milk and hope for a breakthrough one day! Good luck with trying things.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: