Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

help! Ideas for food to be served to last minute guests or insted of sunday dinner

(5 Posts)
BarbaraX Fri 15-Apr-05 12:01:03

Hello,

do you have any suggestions of what snacks/quick food I can prepare? I am looking for the type of things people would have in house to improvise a meal to last minute guests.

I do not normally have anyone for meals so I am inexperienced, but this sunday my sil is coming to visit with her dh, dd (10y old) and ds (2 1/2y old)and to drop my dd b'day present

they occasionally invited me and dd (2y old) for sunday dinner, they did last sunday, but her dh cooks it while she entertains.

I am on my own with no one to help (her bro/my ex-hubby is out of the picture) so I cannot prepare the full works and entertain at the same time, they would end up on their own in the front room for most of the time, what is the point of that??

I am preparing a cake (and serve it with icecream)as it is also dd b'day but they know i am not having a b'day party as dd is having a nursery party on monday.

they are not expecting the classic english sunday dinner, but I would like to have something I can bring out in the afternoon to feed them.

they are into crisps/skips and fruit shoots so I better get those as I do not keep this kind of thing.

I though about buying fresh pasta and fresh pasta sauce from the supermarket, that would be quick and it will look like I am a good improviser

any other ideas?

Frizbe Fri 15-Apr-05 12:04:05

That sounds good to me! or how about nipping out sunday am and getting a ready cooked chicken and salad? with new potatoes?

anchovies Fri 15-Apr-05 12:05:31

Defo agree with the fresh pasta and sauce thing, always looks impressive! I usually have fresh pasta and pesto with fresh parmesan, some ciabatta and a bag of salad as a stand by meal. Other ideas are anything that can be left in the oven (lasagne, shepherds pie, chilli and jackets etc) Depends whether you want to look like you've prepared in advance? Dips and pitta, olives, salad etc are another quick one.

Mothernature Fri 15-Apr-05 12:09:17

Sunday Soup

INGREDIENTS:
1-1/2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
890 ml water
1-1/2 onions, chopped
1-1/2 cloves garlic, crushed
3/4 green chile pepper, seeded and diced
3 potatoes, chopped
3/4 zucchini, chopped
6 mushrooms, sliced
3/4 (10.75 ounce) can tomato puree
3/4 (11 ounce) can sweet corn, drained
1/8 medium head cabbage, finely chopped
1-1/2 carrots, chopped
1-1/2 stalks celery, chopped
1-1/2 cubes chicken bouillon
10 g mixed spice
220 ml heavy cream
paprika, for garnish

DIRECTIONS:
In a large saucepan, boil the chicken in 5 cups water for approximately 30 minutes. Drain, retaining liquid, and chop the chicken.
In the saucepan over medium heat, place approximately 2 tablespoons reserved liquid, onions, garlic and green chile pepper. Slowly cook and stir 5 minutes, or until tender. One at a time, while gradually adding the remaining liquid, mix in the chopped chicken, potatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, tomato puree, sweet corn, cabbage, carrots and celery. Pour in any remaining liquid, and stir in the chicken bouillon and mixed spice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Before serving, stir in the heavy cream, mixing thoroughly. Serve with a sprinkling of paprika.

Serve with crusty bread, can be served 'lumpy' or 'smooth'.

BarbaraX Sat 16-Apr-05 00:26:17

thank you for the ideas, very much appreciated!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now