Talk

Advanced search

Can you feed recipes with alcohol in to little ones?

(11 Posts)
pragmatist Wed 13-Apr-05 12:34:50

I'm thinking of giving Coq au Vin to my 11 month old and 2 year old. Problem is that it was made with 10 fl oz of red wine.

Does the wine retain it's alcoholic potency when cooked in recipes, or does it somehow loose it's alcohol content through some strange chemical process that I don't know about ?!

SoupDragon Wed 13-Apr-05 12:36:25

No, I believe the alcohol content cooks off in the oven, you should be fine.

nailpolish Wed 13-Apr-05 12:36:45

the alcohols usually cooked out i think, if it was me i would just go ahead

dont think its the same as with baking though, like sherry trifle! but wine in coq au vin hsould be ok!

can i come to yours for tea?

Gwenick Wed 13-Apr-05 12:37:08

well I've been feeding recipes with wine in to both mine for some time now

tarantula Wed 13-Apr-05 12:37:44

Alcohol boils at a lower temp than water so all the alcohol will burn off in the cooking process so safe to feed to kids AFAIK.

soapbox Wed 13-Apr-05 12:39:29

Alcohol evaporates off if the casserole has reached boiling point. SO provided it has been simmered for a while then you will be fine!

For that reason anything cooked in a slow cooker will normally still have the alcohol in it as usually a slow cooker doesn't reach boiling point.

Gobbledigook Wed 13-Apr-05 12:39:44

I've given mine a bolognese type sauce with red wine in and they seemed OK! They are 4 and 2.

Easy Wed 13-Apr-05 12:43:05

Oh goodness me it will be fine. Alcohol eveporates at a very low temperature so ther will be non at all left by the time it gets to the table, but a small amount wouldn't do any harm in any case, esp with food.

My childminder made a chocolate mousse for the kids (and her dh) last week which had brandy in it.

Remember that in european countries quite young children are given diluted wine to drink at mealtimes.

Nemo1977 Wed 13-Apr-05 12:43:55

i made jamies maryland chicken which has large glass of wine in for myself dh and our 18mth old...

pragmatist Wed 13-Apr-05 12:50:19

Thanks all. Yes it was simmered for a while so it will be okay then. Good!

RTMTMML Wed 13-Apr-05 12:54:40

do you know it never even occurred to me? I have been happily cooking with alcohol for years. I've always just given it to the kids. Now I know I don't have to think about it again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: