Talk

Advanced search

Potential weaning probs with 6 mo?

(2 Posts)
chicaguapa Wed 13-Apr-05 08:34:13

DS is 5 months & 1 week. Milk (now forumla) is still satisfying him so I haven't started weaning him yet.

DD (now 3) was weaned at bang on 16 weeks (I just couldn't wait!) and I had no problems with getting her to take baby rice, drink water from a cup etc. Of course now is a different story but that's another thread!

When I put DS onto bottles a month ago we had problems getting him to feed with a teat and even now he'll only drink with a Avent 2 teat. He refuses a 3. So he seems a stubborn little mite.

My wonderings are whether I should start with weaning now before he gets EVEN more aware of what's going on around him? I'd really like to start his water from a cup straight away (an Avent bottle with spout to fool him) to help the transition to a cup but I think he's just going to refuse water full stop.

Should I just wait 3 weeks as it's not going to make much difference anyway or shall I start now while he's not hungry and less likely to be in a flap?

Bozza Wed 13-Apr-05 08:41:17

I would wait the 3 weeks if I was you. I had a hell of a job getting my DS to take the bottle and no trouble at all with weaning until he got to 9-10 months and decided he had to feed himself. And that wasn't really trouble (he still ate loads) just mess. Also had trouble with DD re - taking bottle although not as bad as with DS. And at 11 months she eats great - family foods, with the odd spat about who's in charge. She ate solids like a pro though from the moment they were introduced which was later than DS because of the guidelines changing.

Basically I don't think you can compare trouble to take the bottle with trouble taking to solids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now