Talk

Advanced search

Ground mace?

(6 Posts)
TwoIfBySea Tue 12-Apr-05 20:54:00

I'd never heard of it but was wanting to make Nigella's Yellow Split-Pea & Frankfurter soup and apparently this is an essential ingredient. Only I don't know what it is and can't seem to find it in the supermarket - is it a herb or spice?

Does anyone know where you can get it (I live near Edinburgh so not helpful if it is only in London stores!)? Has anyone tried the soup?

TIA

TwoIfBySea Tue 12-Apr-05 21:52:43

Anyone?

Help!

snafu Tue 12-Apr-05 21:54:49

It's the ground-up shell of a nutmeg, I think. You should be able to get it in supermarkets - I'm pretty sure my Sainsbury's does it. I've got a bottle of it somewhere in the kitchen, but I think it's approx a decade old - I'd send it to you otherwise

Ameriscot2005 Tue 12-Apr-05 22:00:37

It's a spice. ISTR that it is related (a component of?) to nutmeg.

TwoIfBySea Tue 12-Apr-05 22:05:44

Cheers folks! I'll have another look in different supermarkets for it, easier now I know I was looking in the right place!

GeorginaA Wed 13-Apr-05 14:31:52

TIBS - schwartz have it in their range - so if you go to which ever supermarket near you has the best schwartz herb/spice area you should be able to find it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now