Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can you eat butternut squash with the skin on when it has been roasted?

(15 Posts)
SamVimesIsMyHero Fri 20-Feb-09 18:00:01

DH has cubed some BNS to roast but left the skin on, will it be ok or shall I trim the skin off?

TheDevilWearsPrimark Fri 20-Feb-09 18:00:53

It will probably be very tough, try it and see.

I leave the skin on for stews/ tagines etc and it's lovely.

Finbar Fri 20-Feb-09 18:01:28

Oh yes ! it's lovely and helps the whole roasting process imo.

Just like a jacket potato - keeps teh vitamins in. Cut the skin off as you are eating.

SamVimesIsMyHero Fri 20-Feb-09 18:08:44

I was going to roast it then stir it into a risotto so don't want to be cutting off the skin as eating I think as it will be coated in sticky rice. Maybe I should cut it off now then...pah!

Twims Fri 20-Feb-09 18:10:11

I cook and eat it - very scrummy

CharleeInChains Fri 20-Feb-09 18:10:49

If it is a yougn BNS when you roast the skin it goes all chewey and sweet, its really nice.

TheyCallMePeachy Fri 20-Feb-09 18:13:42

I didnt relaise you could untilrecently then disovered it is uber yummy

And OP,Sam Vimes is my hero toogrin- that's not my cow! wink

jasper Fri 20-Feb-09 18:13:43

it will work really well.Eat the skin too- it won't be tough. I have done it often this way.

Nigella does it so it must be ok grin

SamVimesIsMyHero Fri 20-Feb-09 18:17:52

Right, I'm going to leave it on. If it's crap I'm sending Detritus round to your houses (without his cooling helmet on...) wink at Peachy

TheDevilWearsPrimark Fri 20-Feb-09 20:41:09

How was it?

bigTillyMint Fri 20-Feb-09 20:46:40

I roast it with skin on for most things - scrummy! But I peel it before chopping and roasting for risotto.

How was it?

SamVimesIsMyHero Fri 20-Feb-09 22:54:38

It was lovely! A little bit chewy but in a good way! Thanks smile

jasper Fri 20-Feb-09 23:44:50

smug face grin

Clary Fri 20-Feb-09 23:59:37

See I always can find what I want to know on MN.

I have a bn Squ lurking in the fridge and didn't know what to do with it... now I do grin

janeite Sat 21-Feb-09 14:51:00

I did a scrummy bns recipe recently. I cut it in half and scooped out the seeds and fibrous bits. Put a spot of olive oil in the hole and some chilli flakes and salt & pepper. Roasted it for about half an hour then put some pine nuts, chopped red onion and cream cheese into the hole and roasted it some more. It was lovely - and yes, I ate the skin!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now