Talk

Advanced search

Today I made Jamies MOF lasagne, it was lovely but ....

(24 Posts)
SweetCheeksLovesSweetTalk Thu 19-Feb-09 17:22:49

He says to blanche the lasagne sheets in boiling water with a little olive oil. I did this but this meant they stuck together and tore when I tried to seperate them, what did I do wrong?

mrsmaidamess Thu 19-Feb-09 17:26:49

I didn't bother blanching mine. It worked just as well without doing that. Tasty isn't it?

SweetCheeksLovesSweetTalk Thu 19-Feb-09 17:46:14

Lovely mrsmaidamess and I loved the cheats quick white sauce grin

I never normally blanche either but thought I would give it a go and then wondered what I did wrong

mrsmaidamess Fri 20-Feb-09 10:38:16

I reckon you overblanched (technical term)

oxocube Fri 20-Feb-09 16:51:53

What's his 'cheats' white sauce? I always make bechamel but its a bit of a faff sometimes. Is this where he uses creme fraiche or is that a different recipe (don't have the book)?

Habbibu Fri 20-Feb-09 16:53:27

I find that with egg lasagne they stick less, but it's a PITA if you're not watching like a hawk. You could try laying just a few at a time in a long dish like a roasting tin. Or not bothering.

Rubyrubyruby Fri 20-Feb-09 16:54:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

watsthestory Fri 20-Feb-09 16:56:22

Message withdrawn

Bucharest Fri 20-Feb-09 16:57:35

Never ever bother blanching lasagne. Not necessary.

pointydog Fri 20-Feb-09 17:11:56

I made his pesto and broccoli tagliatelle last night, with added sliced potato which sounded very odd.

But it was lovely.

SweetCheeksLovesSweetTalk Sat 21-Feb-09 08:27:06

He mixes creme freche (sp) with parmasan for his white sauce oxocube.

Thanks everyone, good idea about the roasting tin smile

dietstartstomorrow Sat 21-Feb-09 08:34:52

I always use the fresh lasagne sheets, so I didn't bother blanching. I also just did my normal cheese sauce, as this takes minutes.

Did you make the sauce from his book too? I found it really watery.

SweetCheeksLovesSweetTalk Sat 21-Feb-09 08:38:39

I didnt find it watery, was really nice I thought

dietstartstomorrow Sat 21-Feb-09 08:46:23

Yeah I did really like it, but next time I only plan to add one tin of water rather than two.

I've made loads out of this book, and it's all been great. Really pleased I bought it.

SweetCheeksLovesSweetTalk Sat 21-Feb-09 08:51:20

I've found that in his bolognse, chilli etc if I add half the amount of water he says it works out better. Maybe this is why I didnt find it watery.

SweetCheeksLovesSweetTalk Sat 21-Feb-09 08:53:24

I agree diet its a fab book, completly changed the way I cook. I meal plan now and both me and dh have lost weight since I started cooking with it.

oxocube Sat 21-Feb-09 16:52:45

thanks sweetcheeks smile

MayorNaze Sat 21-Feb-09 16:56:44

this book has become my cooking bible. made lamb rogan josh last night and even made the curry paste from scratch! i was very proud of myself --and danced around the house waving the bowl of sauce-- grin

SweetCheeksLovesSweetTalk Sat 21-Feb-09 16:58:37

I'm impressed Mayor, I dont think I'll ever be that motivated. Did it taste better than the pataks jar, could you tell the difference?

MayorNaze Sat 21-Feb-09 17:02:07

it was actually really easy blush

and i think it did taste better, though really i only did it as i was fed up of always having a half empty jar of pataks mouldering slowly in the fridge. plus once you have bought all your garam masala etc you have it there and it works out much cheaper in the long run.

made bhajis too. am just fab, me grin

MayorNaze Sat 21-Feb-09 17:02:09

it was actually really easy blush

and i think it did taste better, though really i only did it as i was fed up of always having a half empty jar of pataks mouldering slowly in the fridge. plus once you have bought all your garam masala etc you have it there and it works out much cheaper in the long run.

made bhajis too. am just fab, me grin

SweetCheeksLovesSweetTalk Sat 21-Feb-09 17:10:34

I'm coming round your for dinner grin

You've convinced me to give it a go, next week I'll add the spices to the shopping list

Were the bhajis easy to make? Were they nice?
DH loves bhajis

MayorNaze Sat 21-Feb-09 17:28:16

bhajis also easy blush

you're welcome to come for tea but dh is cooking tonight and its ham egg and chips grin

SweetCheeksLovesSweetTalk Sat 21-Feb-09 17:51:49

Give me a call on curry night grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now