Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone got a soup recipe that their dc will eat?

(13 Posts)
SamVimesIsMyHero Wed 18-Feb-09 17:22:47

So far mine have refused soup (5yrs and 4yrs). I thought about trying a carrot based soup as it is quite sweet. Has anyone got any suggestions?

StirlingTheStrong Wed 18-Feb-09 18:04:45

Do your dc like smoked fish? I make a nice smoked haddock chowder that my dc love.

Can give you the recipe if you think they will eat it smile

SamVimesIsMyHero Wed 18-Feb-09 18:20:51

They've never had it BUT friend whose dc will hopefully be eating the soup too is a vegetarian so fish a no-go...sorry, should have mentioned that! blush

Cathpot Wed 18-Feb-09 18:24:22

Parsip, carrot and one apple. Bung it all together with bit of veggie stock and pinch of garum masala and boil it up then blend it smooth. One of my kids will eat it any way! Very sweet and it's nice for grownups if they turn their noses up.

Tinker Wed 18-Feb-09 18:24:56

Butternut squash and sweet potato goes down well with my limited diet 3 year old. I throw in some dried apricots and apple as well sometimes. Either keep quite thick so doesn't fall off spoon or add pasta to it (!) and she'll eat that.

SamVimesIsMyHero Wed 18-Feb-09 18:59:37

Ooh BNS and sweet potato sounds good. Might give that a go! Thanks smile

DD definitely doesn't like parsnips so I'm not sure about that for dc but I like the sound of it smile

SuperBunny Wed 18-Feb-09 19:03:19

I do carrot and lentil soup. DS loves it, which is odd because he won't eat carrots. We call it Orange Soup and he will eat bowls of it.

Saute onion
Add chopped carrots
Some veg stock
handful of red lentils

Cook til carrots are soft.

Blend

Add cream or cream cheese and lots of pepper.

You can add cumin and coriander to make it more grown up but we often eat it without spices.

SuperBunny Wed 18-Feb-09 19:04:26

Also, pumpkin and apple soup is lovely.

janeite Wed 18-Feb-09 19:13:14

I do carrot and lentil too, sometimes with parsnips and/or sweet potato as well.

Fry onion and bit of garlic. Add chopped carrots, plus parsnips or sweet pots if using. Fry a bit. Add some spice, as much or as little as you want. We like lots but as a minimum I'd say some turmeric and some cumin.

Add a tin of coconut milk, some water and some red lentils. Cook. Blend.

Slurp up with pitta bread, naan bread or chapatis.

misshardbroom Wed 18-Feb-09 19:40:31

one onion softened in bottom of pan, one handful of red lentils, one tin of tomatoes, one pint or so of chicken or veg stock. Simmer for ages, blitz in processor until smooth. Even better with a splash of cream in it. Amazingly, my children eat loads of it, and they won't touch any other home made soup.

Tinker Wed 18-Feb-09 20:33:16

I call mine Orange Soup as well.

oxocube Thu 19-Feb-09 12:08:52

Any soup in the oxo household. They all loathe broccoli but love broccoli soup, ditto courgette, leek etc.

oggsdog Thu 19-Feb-09 12:15:36

Dd loved watercress, leek and potato soup from an early age.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: