Talk

Advanced search

Does my 2 1/2 year old drink enough you think?

(22 Posts)
mummylonglegs Mon 11-Apr-05 21:32:21

Dd, 2 1/2 has just been potty trained and so I've noticed just how little and relatively infrequently she wees and wonder if you think she drinks enough.

She has 2 full beakers of milk a day (those magic cup ones so I guess about 6oz in each), a small beaker of water (maybe 3oz) and the equivalent of one of those small cartons of juice with a straw.

Does that sound ok?

jennifersofia Mon 11-Apr-05 21:37:31

Maybe your dd is like my dd who has always been able to go hours without a wee - I think she generally goes 2x a day, despite my reminders.
Don't know about official figures for amounts for a 2.5 yr old to drink.

mummylonglegs Mon 11-Apr-05 21:55:26

Does she drink a lot jennifersofia?

mummylonglegs Mon 11-Apr-05 23:20:25

Anyone else?

jjash Mon 11-Apr-05 23:33:44

seems to drink way more than my dd does .She will drink cup of milk in morning than has a beaker of juice/water on the go in the day .Some days she hardly drinks it .
She wees for england in the mornings but then hardly at all.
Least i know i`m not the only one trying to do this maths of intake/output

WigWamBam Mon 11-Apr-05 23:34:36

Doesn't sound like she's drinking a lot; at that age my dd was drinking around 5 or 6 full beakers of water or diluted juice a day as well as milk. I don't know what the "official" advice is, perhaps you could ask your HV?

jabberwocky Tue 12-Apr-05 01:37:51

I got concerned about this a while back, thinking ds was drinking too much. I found an article which said, I think, the equivalent of 7 cups per day for his age group (19 months). Of course, now I can't find it anywhere to doublecheck that, but he does drink quite a bit during the day. Probably about 24 to 30 ounces of milk and a couple of 8 ounce sippy cups of water. He also eats fine so I don't think he is substituting fluids for food.

mummylonglegs Tue 12-Apr-05 14:02:21

Blimey, 7 cups for a 19 month old!! Dd's never drunk anything like that amount. I roughly worked out last night in a measuring jug that dd probably has just over 1 1/2 pints (3/4 litre) of fluids a day in total, including milk, juice and water. Anyone know anywhere I can check out if that's an ok amount? My HV is crap, haven't been to see her for almost 2 years.

mummylonglegs Tue 12-Apr-05 21:32:25

Bump

Socci Tue 12-Apr-05 21:37:25

Message withdrawn

mummylonglegs Tue 12-Apr-05 22:05:09

Gosh, Socci, that's loads more than my dd. I am starting to feel a bit worried now after seeing how much other toddler's seem to chug away ...

mummylonglegs Wed 13-Apr-05 09:17:16

bump

elliott Wed 13-Apr-05 09:23:11

My ds1 doesn't drink much either, but I don't think its much to do with how easy he found potty training (he wasn't brilliant and only now reliable at nearly 3.5).
He drinks: half a small cup of milk at breakfast; half a small cup of water at lunch and tea; small-ish drinks of milk or juice am and pm and about 4oz of milk at bedtime. I have to cajole him into drinking at mealtimes and I'm sure he doesn't have more than 2oz at each one.
but his wee seems reasonably dilute and I really don't know what else I can do to encourage drinking except for just that - generally encouraging it.

mummylonglegs Wed 13-Apr-05 09:32:21

Hi elliott , yes, that's a good way of checking, 'dilute' wee! We travelled back from visiting my mum on Sunday and dd didn't wee once between leaving mum's house at 11am and getting home at 5pm. And her wee was very concentrated then. She'd hardly drunk a thing on the way back.

FIMAC1 Wed 13-Apr-05 15:16:04

I think my dd had around 5 cups of water a day at this stage and 3 7oz cups of milk - if she is not going for all that time and it is concentrated that is an indicator that she is not drinking enough, I would think? Do any of the toddler books give guidelines?

ljcooper3 Wed 13-Apr-05 16:30:39

Im a nanny and my 2 year old charge drinks about 6 beakers of milk a day (with about 6oz in, thats all she drinks). She holds onto her pee for as long as she can! I think that sounds fine what you Dd has.

mummylonglegs Thu 14-Apr-05 11:09:42

I'm going to check out the toddler books.

She is capable of holding on for a long long time though. She's only just potty trained and has been dry all night for a week. But she drinks a good 7oz or so of milk immediately before bed, plus has some water in her cot, and still doesn't need a week until she's been up for an hour or so and had another 7oz or so of milk!

mummylonglegs Thu 14-Apr-05 14:42:38

Anyone else?

mummylonglegs Fri 15-Apr-05 10:09:48

I did in the end find a liquid 'recommendation' for 2-3 year olds which says the amount should be .9 - 1.3 litres a day. Milk is 1/3 milk solids so only counts as 2/3 of its quantity as a liquid.
So dd's a bit lower than the lower level but not as drastically as I feared! I still don't know where it all goes though, her wees seem so small ...

mummylonglegs Fri 15-Apr-05 14:38:06

tiny bumpetta

elliott Mon 18-Apr-05 09:22:20

Thanks for the recommendation you found. My ds is nowhere near that though!

mummylonglegs Mon 18-Apr-05 21:59:41

Me neither elliott. Maybe they're like camels!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now