Talk

Advanced search

Making a mild chilli.................

(8 Posts)
lottiejenkins Fri 13-Feb-09 10:43:08

Am going to try and make a mild chilli for my ds for tea tonight! I intend to put baked beans in before the end instead of kidney beans. How much/little chilli powder should i put in so i dont blow him brains out?

fluffyanimal Fri 13-Feb-09 10:47:11

Rather than using baked beans, why not try using a tin of kidney beans in chilli sauce. I did this and didn't add any other spices, and it had a lovely chilli flavour but wasn't hot at all. DS still didn't fancy it, but DH and I enjoyed it...

lottiejenkins Fri 13-Feb-09 10:49:59

My ds doesnt like kidney beans.......hmm hence the baked beans!!

fluffyanimal Fri 13-Feb-09 10:51:44

You could try a mix of paprika, cumin and garlic, but not add any actual chilli powder. Or otherwise just half a teaspoon of chilli powder. Or is there such a thing as spicy baked beans?

lottiejenkins Fri 13-Feb-09 10:53:44

Ive just looked and only have paprika...is that less hot than chilli?

fluffyanimal Fri 13-Feb-09 10:57:16

Paprika is less hot than chilli, but chilli powder is a combination of different spices, so paprika on its own won't get quite the right flavour. Depends how bothered about that you are, though, as you are already using baked beans smile

All you can do is taste and see really.

oregonianabroad Fri 13-Feb-09 11:00:15

When you are frying the onions, garlic, and (optional) chilis, add a tablespoon or 2 of honey -- takes the heat right out of the chillis, and adds a nice taste as well.

lottiejenkins Fri 13-Feb-09 19:11:42

Thanks everyone......... it came out very well!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now