anyone got a really specially nice recipe for this? have promised DH i'll make some. should it be made with marsala? or rum like delia?
Or amaretto liqueur like my mum.
I actually don't like the stuff myself but there is an old family recipe banging about somewhere, with aout 15 egg yolks or something. I'll see if I can dig it out for you.
I found a really easy recipe, no cooking involved but it does use Marsala wine. Is as follows:
2/3 cup strong black coffee, cooled
3 eggs, separated
3 tbsp caster sugar
1 1/4 cups mascarpone cheese (about 250g)
1/4 cup marsala wine
26 - 30 ladyfingers
cocoa powder, for dusting
1. Brew the coffee, and let it cool.
2. Whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff.
3. Beat the egg yolks and sugar until pale, light and creamy.
4. Soften the mascarpone cheese in a bowl, and gradually stir in the egg yolk mixture.
5. Gently fold in the beaten whites into the mascarpone mixture with a metal spoon.
6. Mix the cooled coffee with the wine.
7. Dip both sides of each ladyfinger into the liquid.
8. Arrange the ladyfingers in a layer at the bottom of a 2 1/2 pint dish and spoon some of the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers.
9. Sprinkle a fine layer of cocoa powder over the top.
10. Continue with alternating layers of dipped ladyfingers, mascarpone mixture and a fine layer of cocoa powder until all the ingredients are used up.
11. Finish with a layer of mascarpone and sprinkle the top with a fine layer of cocoa powder.
12. Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving, or overnight.
Mine's very similar, a slight difference in quantities and no marsala.
3 cups strong espresso coffee, warm
200g. savoiardi (ladyfingers?), about 30 I think
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons amaretto di Saronno liqueur
Cocoa powder for dusting
Lay the biscuits out, pour the coffee over them and leave to soak while preparing the rest.
Separate the eggs, then whisk the whites up with 1 tbsp of sugar until stiff.
Beat the yolks with the remaining sugar, then fold into the mascarpone.
Add the liqueur, then fold in the whites, until everything is well amalgamated.
Layer the biscuits in a glass dish, spoon some of the mascarpone mixture over it, repeat until all the biscuits and mascarpone are used up. The final layer should be mascarpone mixture. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours then dust with cocoa powder before serving.
Join the discussion
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.