Talk

Advanced search

lighter bread in bread machine

(5 Posts)
MumOnaMission Fri 08-Apr-05 13:33:39

I love the bread from my bread machine just to eat on it's own but it's a bit heavy for sandwiches. I tried adding a bit of bicarb of soda to the recipe but that didn't work. Any ideas to make my bread come out like a Warburtons?

anorak Fri 08-Apr-05 13:41:12

I've found if you measure the ingredients really precisely that helps. Make sure your yeast is in date. And I found using Lo-salt instead of salt makes it lighter.

Also I find the French bread recipe the lightest one.

jangly Fri 08-Apr-05 13:41:48

A drop more water might help. Make sure you use very strong flour. If you have a waitrose near you their Canadian flour is, I think, the best.

MumOnaMission Fri 08-Apr-05 14:23:18

Right. Off to waitrose I go (if i can find one) and I'll try the lo-salt too which I've already got in the cupboard. Thanks.

jamiesam Fri 08-Apr-05 14:26:46

Am off to Waitrose shortly to buy some Canadian Bread Flour.

In the meantime, I think the breadmaker has a lot to do with it. Was used to rather heavy bread from my, friends and step-mums breadmakers. Then tried some of my sisters - she has an expensive panasonic (Delia recommends so sis has!) and the bread was lovely. I now have a morphy richards which is nearly as good (and not as expensive).

Also recently tried Jamie Oliver recipe - 100g fine semolina flour (I'm using whitworths 'pudding' semolina for now, but he recommends getting it from asian shops...), 400g strong white bread flour, 2tsp of salt, 7g dried yeast, 2tsp golden caster sugar and 325ml lukewarm water. It is much lighter, but def. doesn't keep as well as normal recipes - am going to experiment with adding a bit of oil/butter. (Bake as 1/5kg loaf)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now