Talk

Advanced search

Birds eye chicken dippers

(9 Posts)
alismummy Fri 08-Apr-05 12:31:42

Hi. What do people think of these? My one year old loves them. They do have a relatively low salt content and it says they are made from 100% chicken breast. Obviously I dont give them every day but they have been a good standby. Just wondered what others thought?

colditzmum Fri 08-Apr-05 12:38:18

I have never bought them, but that is purely because I am tight. I agree they make a good standby. If the salt is low and there is no crap in them, what's the problem!

flamesparrow Fri 08-Apr-05 12:47:45

I feed em to my DD... but then I'm an evil person who gives her macdonalds too...

I have been swayed by the low salt and 100% breast, but have no idea if there are other unmentioned nasties lurking.

JanH Fri 08-Apr-05 13:52:07

One of the papers analysed various chicken nuggety things, following Jamie's chicken-skin-and-guts demonstration to the schoolkids, and IIRC the BE dippers were the best - about 70% meat (many others are c40% or worse). I'll see if I can find the report.

iota Fri 08-Apr-05 13:55:36

I buy them as I think they're the least offensive ready-made ones - IME most of the fresh chill have more additives.

Check out Bird's eyes website for details of what they put in their food: here

JanH Fri 08-Apr-05 13:57:59

It was the Telegraph but they actually tested Roasted Chicken Bites (WTF?), not dippers.

It has the easy-peasy recipe for making/freezing your own at the bottom too.

JanH Fri 08-Apr-05 14:00:11

Oh - I just checked on your link, iota, and the BE dippers are only 51% meat

Much better to make your own!

iota Fri 08-Apr-05 14:04:09

51 % meat out of the total nugget including the coating - on the packet it says the chicken core is 70% meat - the rest is breadcrumbs.

alismummy Fri 08-Apr-05 14:15:29

Thanks for your replies. I guess it was jamie olivers vile chicken nugget demo that got me wondering.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now