Talk

Advanced search

anyone successfully gone from SMA to goat milk??

(9 Posts)
monkeychops Thu 07-Apr-05 13:11:08

Ds is approaching one year and has suffered from excema in the past - although is fine at mo. Not sure i really want him to start dinking cows milk. ( i personaly think it tastes disgusting on its own but that is beside the point) He is on SMA Gold still but not the follow on milk as it took a while to get him off BF so as he likes SMA i just didn't see much point in moving him on to follow on milk. Also any advice on getting him to like milk at room temp? (about to go abroad so it would make life easier...)

chipmonkey Thu 07-Apr-05 13:39:26

I went from breastmilk to goats milk when ds2 was 12 months. It worked oyt finr. he had previously got excema from formula.

PrettyCandles Thu 07-Apr-05 14:01:00

You don't need to stop giving formula if you don't want to - my dd couldn't tolerate straightforward cow's milk, and so she is still on SMA Progress at the advanced age of 27m. I'm gradually adding fridge milk to her diet, with a view to dropping the SMA when she shows that she can cope with cow's milk.

If you want him to try something new, you could just give it to him straightforwardly and matter-of-fact. You'd be surprised how babies often accept things. He might relapse when tired or over-hungry and insist on his familiar SMA, though. Or you could try a totally different style of cup/spouty beaker.

If he won't cooperate, then IME the best thing to do is to sneak the change up on him gradually. eg mix 7oz formula with 1oz goat for a couple of days, then 6oz formula with 2oz goat and so on. Similarly with the warmth - gradually give it to him cooler and cooler. But that's much trickier to do than changing the dilution.

monkeychops Thu 07-Apr-05 14:22:47

thanks prettycandles. by the way does sma progress taste the same as SMA gold do you know? May just move him to that. he is 11 months so perhaps i should have done it much sooner? Also if you can stop sterilising at one year do you still need to mix milk pwder with boiled water or can yu just use tap?

hunkermunker Thu 07-Apr-05 14:23:52

Isn't formula based on cow's milk though?

PrettyCandles Thu 07-Apr-05 14:33:05

Formula is generally based on cow's milk, but it has been treated to make it easier to digest. I forget how, exactly, but I think the proteins have been broken down somewhat, and the proportion of proteins fats and sugars modified to bring it closer to breastmilk proportions.

You can use tapwater at this age. I have a jug with a lid and covered pouring spout, and make up about 1.5 pints most mornings. That lasts me a day or two, and I wash the jug out between uses and let it air-dry completely. To avoid having to count out about 20 scoops and keep losing track, I prepared the jug on the weighing scales a couple of times, and now do it by weight: 720g of water plus 100g of formula.

monkeychops Thu 07-Apr-05 15:10:44

That sounds like a good way of doing it Pcandles. do you filter the water or not bother?

donnacb Thu 07-Apr-05 22:10:28

Hi im allergic to milk so my ds is on brest milk at the mo 5months old. at 6 months will try him wityh a formula called nutramigen. This I have been told by my peadiatric dietican as better than goats milk. Also have you tried goats milk its disgusting. Can you use soya milk I was on that on my cereal until I was about 11. ps nutramigen is prescription only. normal formula is based on cows milk. I was allergic to the whey in it. this can also be in soups sausages loads of stuff as its a bulking agent so maybe check food packets for this and see if it makes a difference to the eczma once u have finished formula milk. hope some help

PrettyCandles Mon 11-Apr-05 15:55:33

I decided not to give unboiled filtered water to the children until they were at least a year old, because of what happens to our filter jug unless we keep it in the fridge. Green grows on it!

As for the taste of goat's milk, well it's a matter of what you're used to. I drank goat's milk for a short while as a child when we were abroad, and after the first day or two the taste didn't bother me. In fact, it took longer to get used to cow's milk again when we got back home!

If you avoid cow's milk because of allergies, soya isn't always a good alternative because it can also cause allergies. Personally I always recommend Oatly as the best milk-substitute. It's very digestible (soya gives me wind) and has a certain creaminess that most other milk-substiutes lack.

BTW, I've just started dd on cow's milk cold-turkey (I ran out of formula) and she hasn't batted an eyelid, just accepted it. It's only been a couple of days, but so far she doesn't seem to have had any reaction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now