Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help me plan a 3 course meal for fussy foodies -

(23 Posts)
ScaryYellow Thu 29-Jan-09 16:58:20

I have relatives coming for dinner sat night who are foodies and do not have kids and are fussy do not eat

fish
prwans
lamb
beef

struggking to think what to cook as my usual is lasagne - stuff i cna make ahead and bung in oven as I cant be in the kitchen cos of kids prepping lots of food

so help me out

they love italian foods, my Dh hates olives I have bought a choloate steamed sponge for pudding.

OhBling Thu 29-Jan-09 16:59:10

So they're vegetarian? Or do they eat pork?

mishymoo Thu 29-Jan-09 17:00:11

Why don't you still do a Lasagne but use Quorn mince??

Sweet n sour pork with rice?

Some sort of soup for starter?

ilovemydogandMrObama Thu 29-Jan-09 17:00:28

So, it's just chicken?

Do they eat other shellfish?

georgiemum Thu 29-Jan-09 17:00:48

Veggie lasagne is easy (assuming they eay cheese!). Just use onions, mushrooms (add porcini for a bit more 'meaty' texture) courgette, celery, carrots, peppers... and cook with tinned toms and herbs.

ScaryYellow Thu 29-Jan-09 17:01:40

no not vegetairna - eat parma ham and pork, and chicken but not innards

Cant really afford parma ham TBH

Kids wont be eating we will eat afterkiddies have gone to bed.

Its a pain tBH but its family !

mishymoo Thu 29-Jan-09 17:02:01

Roast chicken, roast pots and veg? Prepare all the veg the night before.

JiminyCricket Thu 29-Jan-09 17:02:07

A chicken canneloni thing? Or Chicken enchiladas

mishymoo Thu 29-Jan-09 17:03:21

Chicken curry? Can be cooked the day before and reheated. Cook the rice while reheating the curry

ScaryYellow Thu 29-Jan-09 17:03:24

SOup for starters sounds good

not sure about veggie lasagne DH not that keen and they are the type to whinge to MIl if they dont get meat and then i;ll neverhearthe end of it!

ScaryYellow Thu 29-Jan-09 17:04:00

curry out - they dont do indian food

Mercy Thu 29-Jan-09 17:04:42

Delia has a spinach and ricotta lasagne which I've tried (it's quite rich) or a roasted veg one.

cremolaismydarling Thu 29-Jan-09 17:05:27

chicken gratin with salad

Ingredients:

Cheese Sauce:

1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
3 tbsp (45 mL) shallots
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup (60 mL) flour
1/2 cup (125 mL) milk or whipping cream ((35 %)
2 cups (500 mL) chicken broth
2 cups (500 mL) sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
2 tbsp (30 mL) chives, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste

3 cups (750 mL) cooked chicken, diced*
1/2 lb (250 g) green beans, blanched
3 large carrots, julienned
4 potatoes, in thin slices
1/2 cup (125 mL) sharp Canadian Cheddar cheese

Preparation:

Cheese Sauce:

Over low heat, melt butter in a large thick bottomed saucepan. Gently cook shallots and garlic for a few minutes, being careful not to brown. Using a whisk, gradually blend in milk then chicken broth.

Simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Blend in cheese and chives, stir until sauce is smooth.

Gratin:

In a baking dish, place diced chicken and cover with about 1 cup (250 mL) cheese sauce, then top with carrot julienne and green beans. Cover with half the potato slices and pour half the remaining cheese sauce over them. Cover with remaining potato slices and pour over rest of sauce.

Top with grated Cheddar and bake in the centre of oven preheated to 350 °F (180 °C) 40 to 45 minutes.

Tips:

* This recipe can also be made with ham, turkey, fish or mixed vegetables.

If you don't have leftover chicken, cook chicken as follows:

In a large frying pan, heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter and 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil. Sauté diced chicken over high heat. Add 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped shallots and 1 small crushed garlic clove. Reduce heat, cook for a few minutes more, then set aside.

ilovemydogandMrObama Thu 29-Jan-09 17:06:14

risotto
chicken tagine
coq au vin

blue cheese/walnut salad

Mercy Thu 29-Jan-09 17:07:00

x posts re lasagne!

Lemon roasted chicken quarters with garlic& herbs and new pots? I'm sure I've got a recipe somewhere

GossipMonger Thu 29-Jan-09 17:08:28

Carrot and Coriander Soup (easy)

Chicken with Creme Fraiche (dead easy0

Roast chicken breasts in oven with a punnet cherry tomatoes, garlic clove, sliced onion, sliced pepper. Season and slug over some olive oil. Roast for 30mins or so.

Remove from oven and stir in some half fat creme fraiche which makes the sauce. The juices of the veg and chicken and oil all mix together beautifully and the creme fraiche is delish.

Serve with roast potatoes and veg or rice and salad

Choc Pud

Wine

DONE!!

NorksDrift Thu 29-Jan-09 17:08:58

Chicken lasagne?!

OhBling Thu 29-Jan-09 17:09:53

What about slow roasted belly of pork?

This is a good recipe but there are loads out there:
www.waitrose.com/recipe/Crisp_Pork_Belly_With_Plum_Sauce.aspx I bet you could find an Italian version? or invent your own? I'd do the same sauce but add fennel and origano to the pork instead of chinese five spice.

Only do roast chicken if you make the best roast chicken in the world - if you don't, foodies will be a bit sniffy about it.

ScaryYellow Thu 29-Jan-09 17:10:26

have to go ds has woken up

keep the ideas coming back later

cremolaismydarling Thu 29-Jan-09 17:12:03

do antipasto starter-
big plater of: salami roast peppers
mozzarella balls artichoke, gem lettuce,olives,bean salad, plum tomatoes and let everyone help themselves

lilolilmanchester Fri 30-Jan-09 14:57:58

Was coming on here to suggest chicken lasagne and carrot and coriander soup. Have been beaten to both suggestions! A friend of mine adds a punnet of whole cherry tomatoes to her tomato and meat sauce when she makes a lasagne - really lovely.

Ivykaty44 Fri 30-Jan-09 15:04:58

this chicken dish - as it will keep in the oven cooking slowly

PeniDavidson Tue 09-Dec-14 16:27:29

Tell your friends fussy and foodie can't be used together. Foodies enjoy eating everything and are not picky about anything unless they have an allergy to it. You can only be either a fussy eater or a foodie but not both..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now