Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

strawberries for weaning?

(14 Posts)
TrinaJ Tue 05-Apr-05 13:32:40

I'm fed up with giving my ds apple, pear or peach for fruit. Are strawberries suitable at this stage and how do i get rid of seeds? I don't have a mouli (have a blender).
What other fruit can i use that i can get hold of easily and is quick to prepare?

elliott Tue 05-Apr-05 13:40:24

strawberries not usually recommended for first stage becuase I think they are more allergenic than some others (plus being difficult to prepare!)
how about bananas, apricot, nectarine, mango, pawpaw, melon, plums. thats about all I can think of for the first weaning stage!

tesni Tue 05-Apr-05 14:38:09

i heard that they not good because of allergy possibility before 12 months. my friend worked at fruit farm last summer and told me a lot about what is they used to grow them. i'm scared to buy and it them myself now

PrettyCandles Tue 05-Apr-05 14:46:18

Not strawberries, they are allergenic (I used to be allergic to strawberries, though outgrew it and am fine with them now). Wait until he's a year old or so.

Almost all fruits are fine at this stage except for citrus and strawberries. Also all vegetables except for tomatoes, potatoes, peppers and aubergines.

Banans, pears and pawpaw are particularly easy because you don't need to prepare them. Just peel one side and scrape with a teaspoon straight out of the fruit and into the baby's mouth.

TrinaJ Tue 05-Apr-05 15:05:44

Why not potatoes? I was recommended to start on them although my ds didn't like them anyway!
Stupid question but what does a pawpaw look like. all i know is "Baloo" sung about them in "jungle Book"!!!!!!!!!!!!

PrettyCandles Tue 05-Apr-05 22:45:11

Two reasons to delay potatoes (though not everyone agrees). Firstly they are loaded with starch that many young babies can't digest, so it fills them up without giving them much nutrition and just slides straight through giving very yucky nappies. Secondly the potato is actually poisonous, although cooking makes it safe. Potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and aubergines are all from the same plant family - gardeners can testify to the unpleasant effects of tomato sap. Personally I can't, but I've heard my fil curse them often enough! Freshly squeezed tomato juice is given to babies with constipation, and it can work like a jet engine.

A papaya/pawpaw looks rather like a green or greeny-yellow mango, but often more symmetrical and with one end slightly elongated. You'll probably find them next to the mangos in the supermarket. They are yummy, but also something to go easy on in a young baby (personally I wouldn't give them on an empty stomach) because they are the main ingredient in meat-tenderiser.

TrinaJ Wed 06-Apr-05 12:48:56

Thanks for info. Sometimes i think it's better not to know what the effect foods have on us!!!
I discovered last night whilst searching tescos what a pawpaw was, I never realised is was another name for papaya!! Which I'd already thought of getting.
Any more suggestions/reasons of what i should avoid, he's been weaned for a month now.

Pagan Wed 06-Apr-05 13:03:56

Had no idea strawbs were a no no. TBH I fed them to my DD, and raspberries. She loved them, especially the rasps as they were easy for her to eat herself from the age of about 7 months.

elliott Wed 06-Apr-05 13:05:37

I have to say I gave potatoes quite early (6/7 months-ish?) with no problems.

Gobbledigook Wed 06-Apr-05 13:32:04

I've given strawberries from 6 months and all 3 ds's have been fine.

Sweet potato was a staple part of their diet from the word 'go' and they had it with everything - again, no problems, but then there are no allergies in our family so I didn't expect any.

Gobbledigook Wed 06-Apr-05 13:33:37

Try apricot - ds3 love it - just buy a bag of dried ones, boil them for about 10 mins I think then puree in a blender. A normal size bag of them from Tesco makes a massive batch.

Bananas are great cos there's no cooking - just mash and eat.

dancer77 Wed 06-Apr-05 14:00:01

I gave strawberries from 6 months too. My ds loved them and still does. He would be devastated if couldn't have them!

PrettyCandles Wed 06-Apr-05 14:49:12

Sweet potato is not the same as ordinary potato - totally different family of vegetables. Sweet potato is an excellent food for anyone, not just weaning babies.

You have to keep a sense of proportion. Most babies will be fine eating strawberries, but because I had the allergy I felt it better to delay giving them.

TrinaJ Wed 13-Apr-05 22:24:55

Thanks for all help and opinions It's been useful. I agree with the last note about family history, we have coeliac disease in my mum's family so I've kept dd and ds off gluten until 6 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now