Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Silly question about fresh meat

(10 Posts)
GeorginaA Tue 05-Apr-05 12:37:26

My very first trip to a proper butcher this week (yes I know, it's shocking) - and it's occurred to me it'd be easier to keep in the fridge rather than automatically dumping everything in the freezer to be brought out as and when I need it.

Is it okay to keep all fresh meat in the fridge for the week, or should I be freezing what I'm going to need towards the end of the week? How long can you keep meat in the fridge for safely?

iota Tue 05-Apr-05 12:44:07

I thought that you should only keep fresh meat for a couple of days in the fridge - and things like mince should be used by 24 hours.
Why not check with the butcher

GeorginaA Tue 05-Apr-05 12:57:40

Mainly because I forgot while I was in there

dropinthe Tue 05-Apr-05 12:59:40

I only keep fresh meat in the fridge for max of two ,at a push three days-then would freeze.

GeorginaA Tue 05-Apr-05 13:00:38

Ah okay, back to automatically chucking everything in the freezer then

nailpolish Tue 05-Apr-05 13:01:09

can i ask a question too please? i took some chicken out of the freezer on saturday, will it still be ok to cook and eat?

nailpolish Tue 05-Apr-05 15:41:51

bump for me

Mum2girls Tue 05-Apr-05 15:44:24

Nailpolish, unless it smelled, I would eat it.

nailpolish Tue 05-Apr-05 15:46:05

great, cheers, i really dont want to waste it. will stick it in oven now, its for dd and dh's sandwiches tomorrow

sweetkitty Tue 05-Apr-05 22:37:44

Even fresh meat from a butcher should have a use by date printed on the label.

Thorough cooking will destroy anything nasty but if it has gone off it will taste rancid. Personally I would defrost and use within 48 hours if kept in the fridge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now