Talk

Advanced search

4th birthday cake inspiration - last minute!

(21 Posts)
purpleturtle Mon 04-Apr-05 19:21:59

Dd is 4 tomorrow. I'm about to make a chocolate cake. Had thought she had her heart set on a naff treasure chest cake in one of her little cookery books, but thought I'd double check. (Just as well)

Apparently, she now wants a "round one", with sprinkles on it. So I'm about to bake said round cake. In my cupboards I have a pretty good variety of cake decorations - flowers, sprinkles, smarties, jelly diamonds, etc etc. There are also some fairy cakes which could be added to the big cake.

As "a round cake with sprinkles" doesn't sound like it would be exciting enough to impress my friends , could any of you wonderful people come up with a suggestion of a design i could use based on these limitations? Please?

cod Mon 04-Apr-05 19:22:52

Message withdrawn

Twiglett Mon 04-Apr-05 19:24:05

love the way we have to 'impress our friends'

will have a think whilst bathing ds

Nimme Mon 04-Apr-05 19:24:44

Impress your friends by not bothering to impress Write your Dd's name in smarties!

purpleturtle Mon 04-Apr-05 19:25:02

But my whole sense of self-worth is tied up in this cake.

purpleturtle Mon 04-Apr-05 19:25:44

Shame we gave her an eight letter long name really! Could pipe that though.

Nimme Mon 04-Apr-05 19:26:11

Or make picture with all your bits and bobs (I did princess picture for DD's 4 doing just that) This year she asked for a Barbie cake from Tesco's!!

purpleturtle Mon 04-Apr-05 19:26:58

Perhaps I should set dh to work with the bits & bobs - he's much more arty than me. Joint effort would be good

LIZS Mon 04-Apr-05 19:28:07

How about a crown (using the fairy cakes, perhaps cut in half as the points) or making the top like a garden with flowers created from the various decorations, or a butterfly shape filled in with sprinkles, diamonds and smarties.

cod Mon 04-Apr-05 19:28:13

Message withdrawn

Twiglett Mon 04-Apr-05 19:37:44

round chocolate cake?

make a hedgehog (have you got any chocolate fingers to poke in?)

round cake with sprinkles - how about a merry-go-round - pole with ribbon hanging down - push in some plastic animals? - or a maypole

oh I don't know

are you going to do a chocolate cake covered in icing then covered in sprinkles? -

purpleturtle Mon 04-Apr-05 19:41:55

Probably the latter.

Twiglett Mon 04-Apr-05 19:46:32

Do you have any stencils?

Maybe a stencil of a fairy or something else she likes

You could use some paper to cover over different sections - spread apricot jam on the top of the icing in the stencil area and sprinkle over different coloured sprinkles in different areas

(assuming you have different ones of course)

I think that could be really effective actually

<proud of that thought>

Twiglett Mon 04-Apr-05 19:47:08

I mean sellotape paper over different sections of the stencil of course

Twiglett Mon 04-Apr-05 19:48:45

Do you have a cake board

You could pile up the fairy cakes in turrets on each corner of the round cake - top with an ice cream cone upside down - decorate and

Voila a fairytale castle (I did a castle for DS's 4th birthday so adapting that thought really)

purpleturtle Mon 04-Apr-05 19:56:40

Cake's in the oven.

I like the stencil idea, Twiglett. Reminded me that my mum used to sprinkle icing sugar over a doily on the top of cakes.

I've seen fairytale castles, and I think that I might save them for another year. I quite fancy having a go at one, but dd's not really reached fairytale princess stage.

purpleturtle Mon 04-Apr-05 20:00:24

Of course, my mind has gone completely blank on what dd actually likes! (This is the child whose only request for a birthday present has been a suitcase - purple suitcase coming up!)

I did toy with the idea of a suitcase shaped cake - but it wouldn't be round, and could therefore be a total failure.

Letters and numbers would probably make her happy enough (that's what I get for marrying an academic, I suppose )

purpleturtle Mon 04-Apr-05 20:51:39

OK, so now that I've had a slight disaster turning it out of the tin , whatever I do, I'm going to have to smother the cake in icing first!

purpleturtle Mon 04-Apr-05 23:55:51

If anyone still has any interest:

The cake is now decorated with chocolate butter icing, a big multi-coloured Smarties 4 on top, with candles, and round the sides lots and lots of hundreds and thousands. Surrounded by fairy cakes topped with hundreds and thousands.

Thank you very much for your help, especially Twiglett. And to those who said - never mind what your friends think: I listened!

Right, I'm off to bed. Just a few short hours till the verdict .

Nimme Tue 05-Apr-05 14:28:37

Just about to ask you what you did in the end. Sounds great. Bet it was a success

cod Tue 05-Apr-05 14:29:38

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now