Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I am confuddled, someone give me a helping hand please

(12 Posts)
lucysmam Mon 19-Jan-09 22:48:20

My lo's 2nd birthday party lunch was going to be easy, or so I thought . . .

However, I have just today heard from a friend I haven't seen for months who used to be really close so have invited him as well.

The thing is I think he's intolerant to some dairy produce like normal milk. Which in itself isn't a problem as I can get soya milk on Saturday so he doesn't have to avoid having a cuppa. I'm also not sure whether to just make up sarnies using normal bread as he eats a lot of gluten free (I think) pasta and bread.

Do you think I ought to do a small selection of sarnies specifically for him? Or let him pick & choose or bring his own bread?

I don't want him to feel singled out or anything by making something specifically for him but don't want him not to eat just because there's nothing there he can eat iyswim.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

bellavita Mon 19-Jan-09 22:49:34

yes, ring him back and ask him what he would prefer....... smile

nontoxic Mon 19-Jan-09 22:53:13

Could you make someting like a rice and tuna salad, which anyone could eat, including him if he wants to.

yama Mon 19-Jan-09 22:54:05

Right, Vitalite is now dairy free as is full fat mayo and salad cream so lots of sandwiches can be made dairy free.

As for puddings, most strudels are dairy free and you can get Swedish Glace ice cream and soya cream and custard.

He won't feel singled out - just point out what he can't have. I guarantee he will appreciate the effort you've gone to.

lucysmam Mon 19-Jan-09 22:55:16

Cheers bella, I thought about that, but I know what he's like . . . he'll say don't go to any extra trouble or expense for him but then avoid eating too much so he doesn't end up 'uncomfy' later on iykwim.

Can you tell the difference between gluten free & ordinary bread taste wise? If not then I might just do some sarnies on one of each & let him know I have

mistlethrush Mon 19-Jan-09 22:55:23

I would make sure that there are lots of things to pick at for everyone (this is what I do when we have friends that have to have gluten free food) - dips with breadsticks for children and some nacho crisps for adults as well as cucumber sticks, celery, carrot etc. Crackers (gf) or bread with cheese or ham. You can get gf cakes - there is a nice dutch ginger cake in Sainsburys - and probably other supermarkets. As long as there are plenty of options and its not sticking out on a small plate as gluten free, I would have thought that they would be pleased that you'd made the effort. Just need to be very clear with them which are gf (and dairy free of course)

lucysmam Mon 19-Jan-09 22:58:41

thanks nontoxic, much appreciated. & yama, my mouth is watering at the thought of puddings!!!! glad someone knows about dairy free diets

lucysmam Mon 19-Jan-09 23:00:01

thats what I was afraid of doing mistlethrush, had visions of kind of singling him out without meaning to because I could only manage a small selection of stuff suitable for him to eat

bellavita Mon 19-Jan-09 23:00:04

You are a thoughtful friend lucysmam smile

lucysmam Mon 19-Jan-09 23:02:07

thanks bella. I try to make an effort for him as he's one of my best friends, always there for me kinda thing so I think he deserves it

mistlethrush Tue 20-Jan-09 09:01:55

LM - just a warning, its fairly easy to do gf, its more difficult if you have to avoid dairy as well (I know, have just tried to do it over New Year!). Coop do gf, dairy free jaffa cakes though!.

For instance, whilst strudles are usually dairy free (although they might not be if they've been made with butter), they are normally not gf.

One nice gf thing that 2yo would love as would adults would be merangues and fresh fruit. Could have ice cream or whipped cream for most people and a dairy free version for friend....

lucysmam Tue 20-Jan-09 12:17:15

thanks for the warning mistlethrush, I'll have a look over the road in the co-op later on. Fingers crossed I can do something that everyone will eat & not make my mate feel singled out in the process.

I have never made a meringue in my life so may have an experiment with some later on as I like your dessert idea

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now