Talk

Advanced search

eggs - if a recipe needs 2 large and I only have medium...

(14 Posts)
MaryAnnSingleton Sat 17-Jan-09 08:39:31

can I used 3 medium ? thank you smile

hoxtonchick Sat 17-Jan-09 08:40:40

yes. probably. but don't blame me if it goes wrong . what are you cooking?

misshardbroom Sat 17-Jan-09 08:45:15

To be honest, I tend to use medium as a direct replacement for large, i.e. use 2 where it says 2.

In savoury things I doubt it would make much significant difference. Possibly a slight difference in baking.

If it's a basic sponge you can always weigh the eggs and use the same quantity of four / butter / sugar
e.g. if it says 2 eggs, 4oz flour, 4oz sugar etc.
then weigh your medium eggs, and whatever they weigh, use the same quantity of the other ingredients so it's all in proportion.

NotADragonOfSoup Sat 17-Jan-09 08:46:15

I've used 2 medium and 3 medium in place of 2 large and it seems to make very little difference at all.

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 17-Jan-09 08:49:11

it's for a stem ginger cake which I made previously with 2 large and it was perfect, don't know whether it might affect it's moistness ? or make no difference !

hoxtonchick Sat 17-Jan-09 08:51:06

it'll be fine (sounds yum, where's the recipe from? ds wants to make a cake today).

seeker Sat 17-Jan-09 08:51:10

I always use medium even when is says large. Never had a problem. You might need a bit more liquid though.

NewAmazingBeginning Sat 17-Jan-09 08:56:24

I would just use two but I am sure the books would disagree!

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 17-Jan-09 08:57:49

it was a Nigel Slater recipe in the Observer Food Monthly before Christmas - it has a clementine frosting which dh says is too much (but yum)

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 17-Jan-09 19:03:25

well the 2 medium eggs seem to have been fine - it's lovely !

snigger Sat 17-Jan-09 19:06:46

Tip for the day hmm - according to the Wonder of Vinegar Handbook (or some such) 1 tbs of vinegar in a cake recipe will replace an egg.

Will someone please try this, and once they've regained the power of speech, tell me what happened?

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 17-Jan-09 19:18:20

grin

hoxtonchick Sun 18-Jan-09 16:36:50

either of these?. though no mention of the frosting....

MaryAnnSingleton Sun 18-Jan-09 20:37:52

yes,it's the first one - he just added the clementine frosting to make it Christmassy - it is gorgeous without though and would be wonderful with custard as a pudding

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now