Talk

Advanced search

I've just made leak and potatoe soup - whats gone wron?

(16 Posts)
notsofarnow Fri 16-Jan-09 13:08:10

Went round asda this morning and bought leaks to make soup then they had packs of pre prepared soup packs that were use by today. so bought a couple of packs of the leek and potatoe and a few of the root veg.

Have just finished cooking the leak and potatoe and given a bowl to dd 16yrs I said was it nice she said no it was fowl. So i've just tasted it and it has a weird after taste.

I've just put the root veg on and really hope that doesn't taste the same.

The only thing i added was knor veg stock cubes.

I cooked it in the remoska.

beanieb Fri 16-Jan-09 13:09:16

wrong kind of Leek? grin

VanillaPumpkin Fri 16-Jan-09 13:11:55

Packet stuff does sometimes have a weird aftertaste. Never as nice as home made soup, with the exception of Heinz Cream of Tomato wink.

notsofarnow Fri 16-Jan-09 13:16:47

hmmm
not ammused now was looking foreward to it. I've now got a huge bowl of it that no one is going to eat aghhhhh.

It still is home made though surely vp seems it was jsut pre cut meaning i didn't have to do it. Thought i was being clever.

can you whack some curry spices into it to disguise the weird aftertaste?

notsofarnow Fri 16-Jan-09 13:22:25

wht like paste?

notsofarnow Fri 16-Jan-09 13:24:02

Is it because i didn't rinse it first so will have whatever chemicals they put in pre packed stuff to preserve it?

Or is it because i cooked it in the remoska somebody said on another thread that everything that comes out of the remoska has a remoska taste hmm

VanillaPumpkin Fri 16-Jan-09 13:25:02

Oh! I thought you had bought some leeks and added them to a packet/powder mix of Leek and potato soup.
Can't think then. Try adding some salt or perhaps even a bit of sugar??

notsofarnow Fri 16-Jan-09 13:29:27

hmmmm got to eat it was so impressed that i'd made enough soup for a year for 30p now don't know wht to do with it lol.

so far we have add salt, curry spices any other suggestions.

snuffyp Fri 16-Jan-09 13:37:42

I have cooked that same pack at luch time and was,nt impressed either!i guess i expect it to be sweeter,need more leeks?i even thought it needed salt i never use salt

ForeverOptimistic Fri 16-Jan-09 13:39:29

Adding stock cubes to a packet mix probably means that it now has too much salt in it.

I did this with shepherds pie once and it was foul.

ChopsTheDuck Fri 16-Jan-09 13:39:37

nutmeg is good for covering up funny tastes and works well with leeks. No idea what a remoska is, sorry!

snuffyp Fri 16-Jan-09 13:40:49

It said to add the cubes i don,t think it was too salty just not much taste and what taste it did have was,nt very pleasant!

ForeverOptimistic Fri 16-Jan-09 13:41:58

Sorry just realised that it wasn't a packet mix. I'm not sure then. Perhaps the stock cubes have gone off. Never tastes as good as home made stock.

Songbird Fri 16-Jan-09 13:45:40

Maybe the veg just wasn't very fresh. It was knocked down because it had today's date on. I'd get some nice fresh carrots, parsnip always makes soup taste better, and onion, boil em up and whizz it all together. I tries leek and potato once and was not impressed! IMO potato needs more to it.

bloss Fri 16-Jan-09 13:50:42

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now