Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Healthy Eating Recipes For School Fundraising Cookbook Please.

(14 Posts)
MaggsS Thu 15-Jan-09 06:56:22

Hi,

My DD1's school is compiling a Healthy Eating Recipe Book to raise funds for new playground equipment and i was wondering if anyone had some recipes to add.

Sweet or savoury, hot or cold, doesn't have to be complicated.

Any idea's please smile

PuzzleRocks Thu 15-Jan-09 08:16:09

Bumping for you.

kitbit Thu 15-Jan-09 08:19:17

Is it for kids to cook and eat, or a general cookery book?

kitbit Thu 15-Jan-09 08:21:08

and LOL at PuzzleRocks on a bumping mission

MaggsS Thu 15-Jan-09 08:23:06

Bit of both really.

To encorage parents to feed their children healthy food,that's it not expensive or time consuming.

Also to encorage parents to cook with their children.

smile

MaggsS Thu 15-Jan-09 08:24:50

Should of said for children 4-7 smile

StirlingTheStrong Thu 15-Jan-09 12:41:22

Oaty Cookies - Also there are other oaty recipes on the recipe pages here.

Maybe a Hearty Bean Soup?

Or Lemon Sole Goujons

MaggsS Thu 15-Jan-09 12:53:17

Thanks Stirling.

I was begining to think no-one was there grin

DrZeus Thu 15-Jan-09 12:58:13

Veg soup

Find any veg lurking in your fridge - carrots, cabbage, leeks, mixed veg, squash, sweet potato etc etc
Chop up an onion and soften, add veg and heat. Add stock and top up with water. Cook for about 20-30 mins. Serve with bread, croutons or blob of yogurt.

I make a big saucepan full and then "pimp" it up through the week. I add chilli flakes, or harrisa paste. Add raw veg chopped up small.

Sounds odd, but really good, tasty and above all - cheap!

MaggsS Fri 16-Jan-09 11:11:16

Can anyone else help please?

lilolilmanchester Fri 16-Jan-09 11:35:14

Here are a couple of our family faves:

Skinned chicken thighs, lighly brushed with the tiniest bit of melted butter or marg, topped with breadcrumbs, herbs and grated cheese. Bake c. 40 mins in moderate oven.

Use low fat creme-fraiche for a healthier and quicker creamy pasta sauce. Cook whatever you fancy (chicken, leek and mushroom goes down well in our house)then chuck in the creme fraiche and heat through.

Risotto: cook rice in stock adding anything you fancy really: prawns and peas; chicken and sweetcorn; ham and peppers.

Fishcakes: mashed potatoes mixed with cooked white fish or tinned tuna or salmon. Seaon. Optionally add chopped onion, herbs. Coat in fresh breadcrumbs. Bake 30 mins in moderate oven.

Homemade beefburgers: simply mix together mince (any variety) and finely chopped onion. Squeeze together and form into burger shapes. (some people add egg and breadcrumbs, we don't). I prefer to put them in the fridge for a while before cooking, you can bake them but we usually just wipe a pan with oil and cook on the hob.

MaggsS Fri 16-Jan-09 12:39:32

Thank you they sound great and easy too.

I sometimes think that people think it either has to be time consuming or expensive to eat healthier.

Cheers. Will try the risotto on my 3. smile

DrZeus Fri 16-Jan-09 12:48:15

Follow up on soup - this is divine!

Chop up red onion and soften in pan
Add tin of tomatoes, and punnet of cherry toms.
Add handful of lentils (I used yellow as I'd run out of red).
Simmer until cooked then blend with hand blender.

Serve with blob of yogurt, I threw in some tinned sweetcorn and stirred in smoked paprika.

Delish!

MaggsS Fri 16-Jan-09 13:57:30

We all love soup here...I'll try that one DrZeus smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now