Talk

Advanced search

I have people coming to stay this weekend and no idea what to give them, ideas anyone?

(18 Posts)
WideWebWitch Fri 01-Apr-05 12:41:19

My ex SIL and her boyfriend are coming for the weekend and I've got to shop this afternoon but am devoid of inspiration. She is supposed to be veggie and although she isn't I can't let ds know she eats meat or he will dob her in to her mother, ex mil. So I can cook meat (except beef) but for the day time meals it can't be too evident, so maybe a side dish. Both children are veggie anyway so prob easier if some meals are veggie. Any ideas? I need quick, easy but lovely meal ideas for

Saturday lunch
Saturday supper
Sunday brunch

I am a huge reader of cookbooks and have everything by Nigel and Nigella and some Jamie so even pointing me in the direction would be good! On flicking through Feast last night nothing grabbed me. Any help appreciated! Thanks. I don't want to just randomly grab a few fish and cheese and stuff and then come back and realise I don't have a plan!

desperatehousewife Fri 01-Apr-05 12:44:00

do a nice roasted red onion and taleggio tart with a crispy salad for lunch with nibbly bits (cheese, oatcakes, nice bread, hummous).

What about a French Onion Soup?

What about a big Moussaka and salad

Or Chicken Fajhitas

Or a thai green curry

Or a pad thai

or home made pizzas and salad

dinosaur Fri 01-Apr-05 12:44:05

I made Nigel's green Thai curry for some veggie friends recently and it was really really good.

WideWebWitch Fri 01-Apr-05 12:46:36

Thai chicken green curry is a very good idea for Sat night I think. Nigel's green curry paste is good but I could buy Bart's paste which is great stuff but NOT veggie since she's only pretending to be veggie!

cod Fri 01-Apr-05 12:51:15

Message withdrawn

Rowlers Fri 01-Apr-05 13:01:18

Sunday brunch - a friend once did kedgeree for us on a Sunday and it was fantastic. Not sure about a winning recipe but it's a good idea. Well, I think so.
Or muffins and scrambled eggs, with veggie sausages?
Sat night - Jamie does a fab Salmon wrapped in parma ham with minty puy lentils - sounds odd but is always a winner in my house.
Sat lunch - I like the tart and salad idea.

darlingbud Fri 01-Apr-05 13:08:42

veggie shepherds pie
snacks like veggie spring rolls, wontons,, garlic bread etc
could you get a chines set meal

mummytosteven Fri 01-Apr-05 13:10:12

some sort of veggie risotto?

tomato + mozzarella salad

WideWebWitch Fri 01-Apr-05 13:10:45

Veggie shepherds pie is a VERY good idea and the children will eat it too. I am trawling through Nigel atm for more inspiration!

Nemo1977 Fri 01-Apr-05 13:12:06

jamies pasta bianco is rather nice and veggi. Easy to cook and goes down well

Papillon Fri 01-Apr-05 13:12:16

A vegetable soup... or split pea soup that the kids should like.. my dd does. And can be easily reheated - good for supper and lunch.

Beetroot Fri 01-Apr-05 13:12:44

Message withdrawn

WideWebWitch Fri 01-Apr-05 13:13:45

The new one Beety? I've got it.

Beetroot Fri 01-Apr-05 13:19:40

Message withdrawn

Nemo1977 Fri 01-Apr-05 13:25:35

pasta bianco is also in new one

WideWebWitch Fri 01-Apr-05 19:54:17

Thank you very much everyone. I still wasn't sure when I went shopping so I bought tons of fruit and veg, a chicken, some turkey breasts, smoked salmon, wine, gorgeous breads and cheeses, thai green curry paste and I might have a session with my cookbooks in a minute deciding what to do, which I'll quite enjoy!

purplelumpy Sun 03-Apr-05 17:03:28

do let us know what you decided to cook

WideWebWitch Sun 03-Apr-05 21:35:41

In the end we had lunch out because we were in the middle of town when everyone got hungry and I did a thai green curry last night with green beans cooked in garlic and soy, mange tout and baby sweetcorn and rice, followed by strawberries dipped in dark chocolate and refridgerated. With far too much wine, hence I didn't get out of bed for lunch today and the chicken is still in the fridge. I think everyone had sandwiches. It was a lovely weekend, and dp and I both got a lie in because they got up with the children, bliss! Shame I got so over excited and drank too much though, I've been paying for that all day! Thanks for all the suggestions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now