Talk

Advanced search

help, can't stop eating!

(71 Posts)
sansouci Thu 31-Mar-05 20:50:40

Since Easter Sunday, I've been stuffing myself with everything that comes to hand. I seem to have completely lost any self-control. I start with all good intentions in the morning but fall apart completely after the children are in bed. I am afraid to step on the scales, my largest trousers are tight at the waist, I feel bloody enormous. Please help me to stop or at least to understand what's going on! Thanks.

pixiefish Thu 31-Mar-05 20:52:03

are you due on or something. There's a time in my cycle where I wolf everything down

sansouci Thu 31-Mar-05 20:55:36

No, I thought about that but dh hasn't been near me in weeks. I'm actually in the middle of my cycle. Would this have any effect? I thought it was normally just before a period that the binging kicked in.

pixiefish Thu 31-Mar-05 20:58:10

not sure when in the month it is tbh

sansouci Thu 31-Mar-05 21:28:55

put duct-tape over mouth, perhaps?

stitch Thu 31-Mar-05 21:39:28

im the same. cant stop eating. if not eating, am bored.
only solution is to be far away from any source of food at all. and with kids to feed, is not possible.
sorry no help at all

sansouci Thu 31-Mar-05 21:41:01

At least you replied! I KNOW there must be others like us out there but they're probably too busy stuffing to type out an answer...

dabihp Thu 31-Mar-05 22:20:23

u need to try an atkins style induction to get over carb cravings. insulin highs and lows are making u eat.... good luck!

kama Thu 31-Mar-05 22:24:08

Message withdrawn

hunkermunker Thu 31-Mar-05 22:27:38

I was like this earlier in the year before I got the horrible vomiting bug and discovered I still had cheekbones and ribs the hard way!

After I felt better, I really only wanted to eat whole food (nothing processed, the thought of chocolate was just sweet grease). I felt like my body was something I ought to be careful of and I didn't want to put anything into it that would be bad for it. I've lapsed a little bit since then, but only in a tiny way. The thought of summer coming up and trying to fit my galumphing arse into anything remotely floaty scared the crap out of me.

Try having a big drink of water before you eat anything. Or cleaning your teeth. Or both. Soup is good to eat as well - filling, but not in a fat-laden way (unless it's cheese and chocolate soup ).

And hugs, hun - I know how difficult it is.

stitch Thu 31-Mar-05 22:29:30

what you say makes perfect sense. its just a case of finding the will to do so.
atkins is definitly a nono. i remember watching my sis do the atkins. and just seeing the amount of meat, and fried stuff she was eating made me nauseas.
what is the gi diet? ive heard people refer to it, but have no idea what it is.
i used to do this thing, where if i was hungry, and it wasnt a meal time, then i had either a glass or two of water, or a piece of fruit. workedd wonders. lost loads, #
now, i just dont have the will to do so.

SenoraPostrophe Thu 31-Mar-05 22:30:39

Oh carb cravings my arse.

I used to go through phases of just eating and eating. Can't remember if it was a particular monthly time though. It helps to try to force yourself to eat fruit (fresh or dried) instead of whatever else you're eating - energy is released more slowly so you don't feel the need to eat so quickly afterwards.

remember that salty and sugary foods are addictive - if you can cut those out for a few days you'll lose the cravings. If you're eating non-salty and sugary foods then maybe you just need to exercise more to make up for it?

SenoraPostrophe Thu 31-Mar-05 22:32:49

took me a while to type that - you know about the fruit thing then!

Why don't you buy lots of really nice fruit like cherries, strawbs and see if that helps?

hunkermunker Thu 31-Mar-05 22:35:00

I think before I had the bug that I was addicted to sugar and having the bug kind of reset me. I literally had no willpower over putting the next sweet thing into my mouth and felt very antsy if I went to my parents' house (they don't have snack food, except fruit!).

stitch Thu 31-Mar-05 22:36:54

it does help, until i feed my kids there diner. and they dont eat it. and we get into a 'discussion' about there not eating. and it ends with at least half there food still on there plate, and i dont like throwing food away, so end up eating therie leftovers, so am not hungry enough for my meal, but am too hungry a while later.
basically a downward spiral. i just need to get some will poower together. thanks for your help though. maybe this is the thing that will stimulate me?

hunkermunker Thu 31-Mar-05 22:37:33

Cook less for them

SenoraPostrophe Thu 31-Mar-05 22:38:40

...or cook more for them so that you get a proper meal out of the leftovers?

Dior Fri 01-Apr-05 20:58:59

Message withdrawn

emmatom Fri 01-Apr-05 21:27:43

Have you thought about eating for health as opposed to weight loss.
I'm an older mum and in my teens and twenties I abuses my body with food,as you do, thinking you're immortal at that age.
Now I'm older and with children I want to be around as long as possible. The thought of leaving them prematurely terrifies me and over the last few years I've just eaten for health.
Forget Atkins and any other faddy diet. Just eat loads of the good stuff.
It's all in the mind, this eating lark. Try and stock up on loads of fruit, veg, chicken, fish, wholemeal bread etc.
You do not need to go hungry and if you just have one day of eating a lot of healthy food, you will feel so good it will spur you on until it becomes your way of life.
I'm so trying not to preach here, just talking from bitter experience. Some examples of meals are porridge for brekkie or wholemeal toast , you can have some marg and jam on it of course.
Have your favourite main course but just a smaller portion with loads of veggies to fill you up. Snacks can be currants, nuts, fruit, cream crackers and a mug of low-cal drinking choc satisfies my sweet tooth in the evening. The odd choccy bar now and then won't hurt either. It's not about depriving yourself, it's about rewarding yourself with good food to keep you strong and healthy. Excess weight loss is just a by-product. Take a day at a time, it's worth it.

kama Sun 03-Apr-05 00:38:57

Message withdrawn

hunkermunker Sun 03-Apr-05 00:40:56

emmatom, that's just what I was trying to say (but I got sidetracked with the idea of cheese/choc soup )!

emmatom Sun 03-Apr-05 10:26:09

Thanks both of you, I'm glad it didn't come over preachy then. I so feel for ladies struggling with weight and being seduced into faddy dieting when you don't need to and shouldn't do it.

TrinaJ Sun 03-Apr-05 19:54:12

I sypathise with you completely, I started feeling depressed a couple of months and since then haven't stopped eating!! After having ds 5 months ago i was smaller, weighed less and was happier than i'd been in two years. but once it started to go downhill it just kept rolling. I'm so disappointed in myself and reading other people's advice has really helped.
I have already started giving my older dd less so i'm not tempted by left overs and throwing any away immediately! I've also decided to get rid of all chocolate in the house once the easter supplies have gone, and only allow it at weekends, my dd is also better behaved without it!! I was amazed at her difference in behaviour and wonder if it contributes to but stress levels!

TrinaJ Sun 03-Apr-05 19:55:28

I sypathise with you completely, I started feeling depressed a couple of months and since then haven't stopped eating!! After having ds 5 months ago i was smaller, weighed less and was happier than i'd been in two years. but once it started to go downhill it just kept rolling. I'm so disappointed in myself and reading other people's advice has really helped.
I have already started giving my older dd less so i'm not tempted by left overs and throwing any away immediately! I've also decided to get rid of all chocolate in the house once the easter supplies have gone, and only allow it at weekends, my dd is also better behaved without it!! I was amazed at her difference in behaviour and wonder if it contributes to my stress levels!

TrinaJ Sun 03-Apr-05 19:56:03

OOps!! pressed button twice!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now