Talk

Advanced search

Prawns and Babies

(14 Posts)
handlemecarefully Thu 31-Mar-05 20:45:59

Remind me, are prawns one of the foods to be avoided for babies and young toddlers ? (ds is 11.5 months)...i.e. they might be one of those foods that can trigger allergic reactions (like nuts?)

Or did I imagine all of that?

Am doing my menu planner for next week as a precursor to my shopping list(very organised - huh?) and I was wondering whether to plan in a recipe for Coconut Prawns.
Thanks,

NannyJo Thu 31-Mar-05 20:48:23

prawns should be left untill 2. as with any shell fish

vicdubya Thu 31-Mar-05 20:49:13

I was wondering this the other day when I found a prawn stuck to a chicken sandwich I had been cheerfully feeding bits of to ds (12 mo), in John Lewis restaurant. It had been next to the prawn ones in the display case. Should have complained really, but didn;t bother.

I have friend who is allergic to prawns, I think they are one of those highish allergy foods, so I'd go carefully.

No idea what the actual HV type advice is.

motherinferior Thu 31-Mar-05 20:50:13

My dd2 has happily snarfed down shellfish since she was about one, I think, possibly younger.

pixiefish Thu 31-Mar-05 20:50:25

Isn't it more to do with possible food poisoning because prawns are so dodgy in that respect

anchovies Thu 31-Mar-05 20:53:06

I think the general advice was 12 months for shellfish? And thought it was for food poisoning reasons as well as allergies? DS has been having it since then anyway.

Hulababy Thu 31-Mar-05 20:53:57

The Government's Birth to Five book suggests that fish and shellfish are best avoided until after 6 months. I would recommend only serving them cooked through until a bit older, but DD has had prawns for a good while now (we have no family history of allergies) and she loves the, Had them tonight infact! She definitely had them as part of her birthdy buffet at 2 years, but I m prety sure that was not the first time.

motherinferior Thu 31-Mar-05 21:00:08

I honestly can't be arsed with vetting food after a year. Actually, with a second child, make that after about eight months

handlemecarefully Thu 31-Mar-05 21:09:20

Ummm - I'm tempted to do the meal: given that the Birth to Five book says it's okay. Perhaps I'll make sure that he only has limited and very occasional exposure to prawns until he is a bit older (like once in a blue moon). They would be well cooked in the recipe.....ummm, still not sure but tempted to go for it. We have to make enough compromises in our family meals as it is to suit the childrens' palates.

ambrosia Thu 31-Mar-05 21:15:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

californiagirl Thu 31-Mar-05 23:50:44

Shellfish are high allergy. In a moment of extreme inconsistency, I let DD (1) eat tree nuts, but not peanuts or shellfish. I'm horribly allergic to shellfish, and I know they say it doesn't make any difference -- you inherit the tendency to allergy, not the specific allergy -- but I clearly inherited specific allergies from both my parents, so no prawns for her.

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Thu 31-Mar-05 23:56:54

the DTs have been having prawns for the past month. Once they turned 1 I went back to cooking seafood big time! We love prawns in this house.

Gwenick Thu 31-Mar-05 23:58:28

I go motherinferior - 1st child was 'careful' after about 1yr - 2nd...............hmm that would be 6 months (2 months after we weaned him )

Demented Fri 01-Apr-05 00:00:12

I asked the same question when my DS2 was around the year mark (or possibly earlier), it was a dish with prawns and coconut milk and another poster expressed a concern about the coconut rather than the prawns. I gave DS2 the meal anyway and it went down a treat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now