Talk

Advanced search

I need a recipe for a tart using puff pastry please

(14 Posts)
johnbarrowmanlovesme Sat 10-Jan-09 13:11:45

You know the kind, using tomatoes & goats cheese type of thing, or anything savoury really, as long as it doesn't caontain meat. Have made one before & it was lovely but can't remember where I got the recipe from.
TIA x

johnbarrowmanlovesme Sat 10-Jan-09 13:17:41

contain meat even smile

norksinmywaistband Sat 10-Jan-09 13:30:01

Roll out puff pastry, score a line 1" in from edge, place desired filling on centre section and bake.

I like courgette peppers and onions, lightly cookedin a frying pan with olive oil and sundried toms and olives chopped through it

midnightexpress Sat 10-Jan-09 13:32:52

Nigel Slater has some good ones in 'Appetite'. Leek or onion and Tallegio is lovely. Hang on I'll get it..

pancetta and onion
red onion and parmesan
mushroom and pallegio
tomato and basil
onion and camambert.

<tummy rumbles>

missorinoco Sat 10-Jan-09 13:35:46

as per norks. (i wish mine were that high!)
i like lightly fried onions and mushrooms, then topped with goats cheese and peppers.

johnbarrowmanlovesme Sat 10-Jan-09 15:23:51

they all sound yummy! I quite fancy the tomato & basil midnight, would you roast the onions first then?
Any other ideas anyone would be appreciated grin

Lemontart Sat 10-Jan-09 15:27:58

I do a tricolor one with cherry tomatoes (little bit of quality tom paste on the bottom first), big blobs of creamy goats cheese topped with thin slices of courgette. Little drizzle of oilve oil and seasoning - lovely

johnbarrowmanlovesme Sat 10-Jan-09 15:31:15

That sounds lovely lemon, don't have any courgettes though, what else could I use? hmm

midnightexpress Sat 10-Jan-09 19:15:20

He doesn't use onions in that one jblovesme. He suggests spreading a thick layer of pesto on the pastry, then covering with thin slices of tomato. Lots of sea salt and black pepper then bake until crisp and golden.

Hope this not too late for your plans. smile

bambi06 Sat 10-Jan-09 19:30:42

my fav is cut the pastry in to squares..score a line around about 2cms in..put thin layer of pesto sauce..then two slices of large tomatoes and on top of that put two slices of goats cheese

OhBling Sat 10-Jan-09 22:32:40

I do the same one as Lemon, but without the courgette (nice idea though, I think I'll nick it). Red pesto and goats cheese with cherry tomatoes on top. I mix some herbs into the goats cheese too - dill or chives normally.

DevilsAdvocaat Sat 10-Jan-09 22:36:15

Roll out puff pastry and leave a line 1" in from edge.

spread pesto in centre, cooked spinach, mozarella.

brush egg on 1" margin.

bake 'til cooked!

seriously yummy.

Lemontart Sun 11-Jan-09 12:47:29

puff pastry tarts are great - love the sound of the pesto, spinach and mozz DA. Definitely going to try that one.

I think you can use almost endless combinations as long as you have a mix of:
a) juicy layer for moistness (pesto, passata, custard type layer, paste)
b) filling bit (sliced onions, spinach, courgette, grilled peppers, mushrooms, sliced leeks, aubergines, you name it)
c)topping (cheese is obvious choice or just a drizzle of good olive oil and squeeze of lemon juice)

You can’t go wrong. Season a little, cook for as long as it needs and it is one of the quickest, nice looking and tasting simple dishes around. I know puff pastry is not the healthiest option but we always keep a batch for standby in the freezer.

DevilsAdvocaat Sun 11-Jan-09 21:17:19

lemontart, it is an awesome combination!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: