Talk

Advanced search

I need to bake some gluten and dairy free muffins - any tips?

(5 Posts)
RubyRioja Thu 08-Jan-09 16:49:05

Was planning to just use substitutes with my normal recipe, but there are so many experts on MN, I thought I'd see if there is a better way!

tia

thatoldchestnut Thu 08-Jan-09 21:42:30

I would just use your normal recipe substituting dairy free margarine and milk and gluten free flour(the best combination for cakes is 50% rice flour,25% corn flour and 25% ground almonds)- I usually just use Doves Farm gluten free flour.

Eggs and extra baking powder are essential to bind and lighten cakes made with gluten free flour.The general rule is to use 3 eggs for every 4oz flour used.

Check the labels of powdery ingredients used such as baking powder,icing sugar and spices as they are sometimes mixed with wheat flour to prevent lumps forming - I use gluten free baking powder.

RubyRioja Fri 09-Jan-09 09:33:02

Oh thanks - that is a help.

RubyRioja Fri 09-Jan-09 10:35:16

They have come out really nicely - I added two little eggs to boost and they are yum - thanks

cmotdibbler Fri 09-Jan-09 10:38:29

If you need another, then I got this totally fab recipe from JacksMama:

Almond muffins – GF/WF/DF

Preheat oven to 375F. I think that's 175 degrees C or thereabouts, depends on how hot your oven is. The original recipe I was given said 350F but I found 375F worked better for me, perhaps my oven is slow.

Beat together:
2 1/2 cups ground almonds (doesn't matter if they have the skin on or not - I've ground my own whole almonds or have bought the blanched ground ones)
3 eggs
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup butter or applesauce
1/4 tsp baking soda (or 1 tsp gf baking powder)
1/8 tsp salt
large dash vanilla essence
huge dash cinnamon

Pour in muffin tin (makes about 12), bake for 20-22 min.
They are especially yummy if you sprinkle the tops with cinnamon and brown sugar (and tiny chopped walnut pieces) before baking.
Enjoy!!

tis really, really nice, esp if you use applesauce that has bits. A firm fave here now, and dead easy to cook with children

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now