Talk

Advanced search

Stock advice please

(10 Posts)
timmette Thu 08-Jan-09 10:34:46

I do make home made stock.
But what are the best stock cubes or stock powder when it's not possible to make my own. It has to be a powder or a cube rather than fresh stock to that needs to be kept in the fridge. I am in Belgium and struggling to find a good stock cube that doesn't taste too chemically, so will get my sis to bring some when she comes.

mistlethrush Thu 08-Jan-09 10:46:44

I've used Marigold Bouillon powder for years - then Delia recommended. I used to use the Green tub - but I have swapped to the purple tub as it is lower in salt (so better for seasoning things which ds is going to eat too) - I don't notice that its reduced salt though.

Most wholefood and health shops sell small tubs of the green one. You can get much larger tubs - we decant the 500g into the smaller (150g) tub as it is significantly cheaper to buy this way, but you don't necessarily want to keep opening up the large tub.

small tub purple

JaneLumley Thu 08-Jan-09 11:34:30

Benedicta Touch of Taste in a bottle. Has to be kept in the fridge once opened, but it's nice and keeps/lasts for ages.

or freeze fresh stock in plastic bags? Put bag in measuinrg cup and pour in cooled stock. Put cup in freezer and remove cup after a day.

Lemontart Thu 08-Jan-09 11:37:52

Touch of Taste is great, tastes better than my homemade stock.
We are veggie mainly (health more than moral issues). Homemade meat stocks were fine, but veggie only stock is not so good and so tried Touch of Taste. Not gone back. I know people like the chicken one too as used that for guests meat options.

extremelychocolateymilkroll Thu 08-Jan-09 11:40:44

Where do you get Touch of Taste? Have never heard of it. Just googled and all I can seem to see is that Nigella uses it.

Lemontart Thu 08-Jan-09 11:45:20

tesco sell Knorr Touch of Taste which is the one I use. Not sure about the Benedicta one JaneLumly mentioned

extremelychocolateymilkroll Thu 08-Jan-09 11:55:50

Thanks Lemontart. Would also like to try out the Benedicta if I can track one down.

MrsBadger Thu 08-Jan-09 12:00:46

IIRC Knorr bought out Benedicta and now sell Touch of Taste under their own name (in the UK at least) thus

extremelychocolateymilkroll Thu 08-Jan-09 12:07:58

Thanks Mrs Badger.

timmette Thu 08-Jan-09 12:35:04

Thanks for this I will try touch of taste and the Marigold - my sisters shopping list is getting longer every day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now