Talk

Advanced search

Lakeland Potato Ricer. Advice required. GeorginaA? Anyone else?

(12 Posts)
Bozza Wed 30-Mar-05 13:32:18

I'm sure I remember Georgina saying she had one of these and so thats why I put her name in the title but would appreciate help from anyone.

I've bought one but not yet used it. But want to make mashed potatoes tonight when I get home from work and will have little time so thought I'd find out what to do now. Its got 3 discs, which do I use? Then what do I do? Do I just boil up potatoes, drain, bung in ricer and push through? Do I add butter later? Is it really true that I don't need to peel the potatoes? What happens to the skins?

Sponge Wed 30-Mar-05 13:39:11

I use the finest one for mashed potato as I like it v smooth. I do peel my spuds first as bits of skinn will go through if you don't. Just boil them as normal, drain, bung into ricer and push through. Then add butter, milk, salt, pepper whatever you want and mix up. I tend to melt a bit of butter and milk together so it and the pan are warm and then mash the potato into this - mixes more easily and doesn't get cold.

Bozza Wed 30-Mar-05 13:43:06

Clever idea sponge - re the pan. Was just hoping not to have to bother with peeling the potatoes. Am lazy about this which is why we rarely have potatoes.

Also while we're on the subject, would the ricer be useful for mashing fruit for DD?

marthamoo Wed 30-Mar-05 14:16:37

I've got one too. Nigella Lawson says you don't have to peel the potatoes and she's right in a way - the skin doesn't go through the little holes. But you have to keep fishing the bits of skin out and it's a pain so I peel them before I cook them. And like Sponge I use the finest disc. Then stick in butter, milk whatever - yum yum!

Try it without peeling the spuds - you may have a higher tolerance for fishing the skin out of the ricer than I do!

sweetmonkey Wed 30-Mar-05 14:21:46

everytime i do mash i never peel them. think it tastes alot nicer with bits of the skin in it. dont know if this helps

Sponge Wed 30-Mar-05 14:22:50

You can mash anything with them - other root veg and fruit particularly. Particularly good for things with dried fruit in for bablies because it will leave the tough skins behind.

SoupDragon Wed 30-Mar-05 14:37:05

Cut unpeeled potatoes in half and put in the ricer cut side down. Squeeeeeeeeeze, open and hook out the skin with a pointy knife. Usually comes out in one go. Add butter & milk and mix with a fork. To serve, I spoon it back onto the ricer and squeeze onto the plates.

Bozza Wed 30-Mar-05 14:39:17

I was thinking of things like peach and mango.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Think I will try it with skins on tonight to save time. Then have a go without another time and see what I think.

GeorginaA Wed 30-Mar-05 15:25:10

Sorry Bozza - only just seen this. I use the finest one, boil, drain, bung in ricer, push through, stir in some butter at the other end.

I always peel the potatoes, but I'm fairly sure someone said you didn't have to....

Of course, everyone's already said all that now

sweetkitty Wed 30-Mar-05 20:41:50

Bought one of these at the weekend (as recommended by mumsnet)and wow what a little gadget DP used it at the weekend with new potatoes (he hates whole potatoes) and it was great, even better tonight as I peeled the potatoes first.

No more beating hell out of potatoes with a masher for me!

Bozza Thu 31-Mar-05 10:01:34

Worked really well last night. Left the skins on as didn't get home until nearly 6 and only had small quantity of potatoes. DD hadn't eaten her nursery tea so she had some too. Even DH imprssed.

SoupDragon Thu 31-Mar-05 10:04:15

Best bit about it is that you can microwave a jacket potato, cut it in half and squish it for quick mashed potato with no faffing about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now