Talk

Advanced search

Ok ... I know there's a giant pile of ripe/off fruit in the kitchen ...

(15 Posts)
NotQuiteCockney Sat 03-Jan-09 14:13:19

I don't want to waste it.

I would normally bake fruity sorts of cakes with it ... but the house is full of Xmas sweets, I don't expect they'd get used.

Can I freeze applesauce? Make purees of other fruits, and freeze them, to mix with yogurt or put in smoothies?

Or can I just grate/cut up fruit and freeze it, for smoothies or cakes?

Or can I make fruity sorts of cakes (like carrot cake, but with fruit instead of carrot) and freeze them? Better frozen as batter, or as cakes?

scienceteacher Sat 03-Jan-09 14:14:58

I make up smoothie mixes when I have an excess of fruit. I will chop the different fruits and freeze them in takeaway containers.

When it comes to making a smoothie, I just have to add the liquid and whizz it up.

sinkingfast Sat 03-Jan-09 14:15:27

I'd go for baking cakes and freezing them. Banana loaf freezes well, as does apple cake.

mrsgboRingOutTheOld Sat 03-Jan-09 14:16:34

second the bake and freeze suggestion.

NotQuiteCockney Sat 03-Jan-09 14:17:04

Well, I can do a mix of these things.

I don't think there's banana in there. Bananas get eaten. It'll mostly be pears and citrus fruits, I think.

I make a great orange/pumpkin loaf, it's my favourite cake ever, could do with one of those in the freezer. (And I already have frozen pureed pumpkin in the freezer ...)

The mix of fruit/veg boxes, Xmas holidays, various illnesses, and me going away for a weekend is the cause of this. In case anyone cares ...

sinkingfast Sat 03-Jan-09 14:21:03

<Drool> at orange/pumpkin loaf

NotQuiteCockney Sat 03-Jan-09 14:23:11

Here. It's a really good recipe. I use half wholemeal flour and half white. And substitute cranberries for the raisins. But it's tasty, done according to the recipe, too.

Pacific Sat 03-Jan-09 14:27:43

I have just had the same problem. I peel and stew all the fruit together creating some seriously weird combinations! Then freeze in small pots for future use.

NotQuiteCockney Sat 03-Jan-09 14:29:30

Oh, I was deffo going to peel and core it, I know I can't freeze them whole.

Right, off to find out what's in the giant pile of fruit ...

NotQuiteCockney Sat 03-Jan-09 15:08:09

I've gone through it. Apples, ok, I'll make applesauce, that works. A few pears, not sure what to do with those, but there are clear options.

Mangoes will just get eaten, no need to do anything there.

My problem fruit: I have oranges and kiwis. WTF do I do with these?

bronze Sat 03-Jan-09 15:08:52

stewed fruit is fine to freeze

NotQuiteCockney Sat 03-Jan-09 15:11:21

But ... can you stew kiwi and orange?

And if I did that, what would &#65321;do with it?

Web searches are leading me to believe I can peel and dice kiwi, freeze, and then use in smoothies?

bronze Sat 03-Jan-09 15:17:52

Could you candy the oranges?

NotQuiteCockney Sat 03-Jan-09 15:19:50

Hmmm .. I tend towards low-gi food. I'm suspecting candied oranges wouldn't make the cut ...

Online stuff indicates I can freeze oranges, just have to peel + segment them, which doesn't sound disastrous. I tend to make smoothies with milk in them, though, so orange is unlikely to be useful for that. Frozen orange might be nice to eat as is?

bronze Sat 03-Jan-09 15:21:48

mmm yeah in summer I imagine they would be quite tasty

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now