Talk

Advanced search

Very basic food question re batch cooking and freezing...please help a thicko...

(4 Posts)
Caz10 Fri 02-Jan-09 14:25:11

I am quite a good cook (honest) but have never managed to batch cook before as we had teeny tiny freezer - now we have a slightly bigger one would like to start preparing meals ahead and freezing...

..so say if I was making shepherds pie - would I cook the mince etc, whack the mashed tatties on top then freeze once it's cool? I don't actually cook it in the oven before freezing?

And something like spag bol sauce - cook it all then put it in freezer once cool?

Thanks!

HuwEdwards Fri 02-Jan-09 14:28:40

To answer your qs,

Shepherds Pie, cook your mince etc and put the mash on top, do everything you would just before putting it in the oven. Then freeze it. All you need do when you want it, is sling it in the oven (and you can cook it from frozen.

And yes exactly as you say re spag bol sauce.

HuwEdwards Fri 02-Jan-09 14:30:14

soz just re-read and maybe not clear about Sheps Pie.

I meant to everything you would do normally, up until the point you would normally put it in the oven. Instead of oven cool it and freeze.

Caz10 Fri 02-Jan-09 14:34:57

Fab that is what I thought but didn't want to poison anyone.
Thank you very much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now