Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone used Farmaround Organic box scheme?

(15 Posts)
snafu Mon 28-Mar-05 15:48:47

Thinking of joining a box scheme and rather like the look of Farmaround - has anyone used it? Or do you want to put in a good word for whichever box scheme you're using - am open to suggestions!

bran Mon 28-Mar-05 17:10:08

I've never used one, but that one looks very good. It seems very flexible and customer oriented, I like the way you get a named driver. Their recipes are yummy too.

If you do use them I'd be interested to know how good you find them as I'm thinking of using something similar from around May, although Waitrose have a pretty good selection of organic veg.

snafu Mon 28-Mar-05 18:18:38

Okay so have narrowed it down to abel and cole, riverford or farmaround

It needs to be good as I am trying to persuade my mum she needs to start buying more organic!

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Mon 28-Mar-05 18:23:34

I don't know the others but we use Abel-Cole. We do it through school. I love getting the fruit and veg. I know that some people complain that the selection can be boring as it's seasonal but it makes me try new recipes and they always include recipes with the fruit and veg

geogteach Mon 28-Mar-05 18:51:39

I use riverford and they are great, same bloke every week. You don't get any say in what is in the box (can vary the size) but that forces me to be more imaginative and i've had some success getting DH to eat more veg. Beginning to hope leeks go out of season soon though!

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Mon 28-Mar-05 18:54:38

know what you mean about the leeks though. We've had chicken cooked on a bed of leeks with white wine and cream, leek and stilton soup, leek with spag bol, leek and any other veg soup etc etc... Looking forward to some strawberries and lettuce etc.

FrenchGirl Mon 28-Mar-05 19:30:44

another vote for riverford here, very good quality (can't wait for their great lettuce in the summer!), and makes you feel like earth mother type.

merglemergle Tue 29-Mar-05 17:53:28

We use Riverford too and they are fantastic. We've used loads of different schemes in the past-some went out of business, some were too expensive, sometimes we just lost enthusiasm...

The seasonal thing is good and makes you feel virtuous. Personally I don't mind the leeks-I use them instead of onion in soups (and we're having at least one onion + carrot soup per week at the moment). But I am soooooo fed up of kale, I really need it to go out of season. I keep trying to give bags of it to my visitors.

Also the potatos keep sprouting and I can't eat them cos pg.

You get a LOT for your money though, so I don't feel too bad about chucking anything thats moulded, esp since we compost.

Also you can order milk, cream, (veggie) burgers etc and so can avoid going to the supermarket every week if you organised (as we occasionally are).

snafu Tue 29-Mar-05 17:56:22

I think the pendulum is swinging in favour of Riverford! I'm doing it a) to feel virtuous and b) to persuade my mother that she can't survive on a diet of bacon sandwiches and crunchy nut cornflakes. I thought having a box of delicious organic bounty delivered to the door every week would help...

Right, am going to check out the site now - thank you!

sophy Wed 30-Mar-05 14:05:19

Can I put in a vote for Abel & Cole please? I've been getting their mixed fruit and veg box for about three years now and am very pleaseed with it. I also get milk and eggs from them, but find some of their meat a bit pricey, and bread was disappointing in the past.

snafu Wed 30-Mar-05 14:07:47

Oooh, spooky - have just this minute placed an order for a mixed fruit and veg box with Abel & Cole Turns out Riverford didn't deliver to my area after all...

I'll let you know what I think when it arrives on Tuesday!

nutcracker Tue 05-Apr-05 18:23:08

Can i just ask how much generally a box is ??? Is it a set price or depend on whats in the box ??

Also anyone know if any deliver in brum ??

snafu Tue 05-Apr-05 18:41:52

Nutty, the box I've got (their besteller apparently) is £13.80. It's for 2-4 people and today contained apples, oranges, potatoes, a cauli, a swede the size of a small child, jerusalem artichokes, kiwi fruit, tomatoes and a slightly frightening box of beansprouts, mung beans, aduki beans etc that may be a bit too Gillian McKeith for me

There aren't huge amounts of anything (swede excepted) so I'm not sure if it's fantastic value for money, but so far everything I've tasted has been delicious and very fresh. But there are lots of other boxes/combinations to choose from.

Their website here will give you an idea and tell you where they deliver to.

bluemang0 Thu 06-Nov-14 09:21:28

Hi. I've used farmaround a few times and I've been VERY disappointed with them
TWICE they failed to deliver and they charged me for it.
Some of the produce received had ants all over it and the fruit was rotten which you could blatantly tell.
Never would I use them again.
Very poor customer service. They didnt seem concerned that my delivery had been missed and was promised a goodwill gesture but even after chasing them, never received it.

pregnantpause Thu 06-Nov-14 18:07:04

I imagine op has probably made her decision in the last nine years tbh bluewink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now