Talk

Advanced search

Week three of a horrible cold. What are your favourite health giving recipes?

(17 Posts)
alittleteapot Tue 30-Dec-08 09:47:59

apart from chicken soup, what are your family favourites for when people are poorly and run down? feel like i'm never going to shake this cold and now on antibiotics for chest too.

alittleteapot Tue 30-Dec-08 10:06:26

ah, go on... i'm going shopping soon and need your inspiration!

GentleOtter Tue 30-Dec-08 10:16:52

Masses of garlic and turmeric littleteapot. Put garlic in everything - fresh parsley by the handful kills the smell.

I hope you feel better soon.

alittleteapot Tue 30-Dec-08 10:37:12

Good thought, thanks, will get load of veg, cabbage and lots of garlic plus chicken stock base. Yum.

ComeOVeneer Tue 30-Dec-08 10:39:52

Hot toddy always helps in the evening I find!

onthepier Tue 30-Dec-08 10:52:29

This chicken dish is ideal if you're feeling run down:-

Fry up some leeks with a little oil, remove from casserole dish, put whole chicken in, fry on each side for 5 min, put in 600 fl oz chicken or veg stock along with 120 ml wine or apple juice, scatter chicken with seasoning + dried thyme, cover casserole + cook in oven for 50 min. at 190 degrees c, take it out, return leeks to casserole, along with chopped carrots + mushrooms, along with about 10 fl oz of rice. Cover again + return to oven for another half hour.

When it comes out you'll have a gorgeous, tender chicken surrounded by a kind of chicken/vegetable soup!

The good thing is there's normally a bit over for the next day too, and a lot of it can be prepared in advance.

It's worth a try!

alittleteapot Tue 30-Dec-08 10:54:45

Yum, that sounds great, thanks i'll definitely try it.

alittleteapot Tue 30-Dec-08 18:30:00

onthepier your casserole is in the oven!

and GentleOtter, I made a veg soup with masses of garlic for lunch. forgot the turmeric though - remind me - it's good for inflammation isn't it?

thanks for all the advice. hope i feel better soon

smile

dinkystinkyclaus Tue 30-Dec-08 19:05:07

Nigella's butternut squash and sweet potato soup - basically warm up some chicken stock, throw in bag of diced butternut squash and sweet potato and season with some cinnamon and tiny bit of mace and some salt and pepper and bubble away for 15-20 minutes. Then blend with handblender and put in bowls and swirl in some sour cream. Full of vit c!

onthepier Tue 30-Dec-08 19:13:53

Hope you enjoyed the dish, alittleteapot!

Nigella's soup sounds nice too, Dinky. I'll have to try it!

alittleteapot Tue 30-Dec-08 23:12:55

it was delicious onthepier, thank you. thanks dinky, will try that one tomorrow!

Octothechildherder Tue 30-Dec-08 23:14:45

pulsatilla capules by handful!

oneplusone Tue 30-Dec-08 23:26:49

a spoonful of honey with some turmeric mixed in (just a pinch) both are antibacterial and drink lots of warm water and stay in bed as much as you can and rest.

Guadalupe Tue 30-Dec-08 23:27:05

A bit of cider vinegar in some juice is very good. Not everyone can stomach it though.

Any clear soups, lots of things with onions, garlic and chilli. Eat less dairy foods and sugar.

nannyL Tue 30-Dec-08 23:45:17

at keast 6 clemintines per day + a 1000mg vitmain c orange drink thing + olbas oil in the bedroom to help you breath mor easily at night smile

GentleOtter Wed 31-Dec-08 12:10:34

How are you feeling today, little teapot ?

I hope you are much better. smile

alittleteapot Wed 31-Dec-08 14:08:47

Ah, that's really sweet for asking, thanks. i do feel better, still very spluttery and very very tired but not so actually ill. Just had seconds of the yummy soup smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now