Talk

Advanced search

I bought shortcrust and puff pastry but need some ideas please!

(8 Posts)
RGChristmasPargy Tue 23-Dec-08 22:59:06

I originally bought it because i was going to make some puff and shortcrust mince pies but i cant find any jars of mince meat anywhere. Apart from sausage meat, what can i use the pastry for, either sweet or savoury? I can only really think of making a few jam tarts! blush

Ideas anyone?

ScruffySoAndSo Tue 23-Dec-08 23:01:08

what about scrummy cheese and onion pasties with the puff pastry. just fry onions and mix with a little mash potato and grated cheese and put in a puff parcel and bake.

Absolutely Gorgeous!

Tinker Tue 23-Dec-08 23:04:02

Have you got any dates and stilton? Nice blended together. Do a pinwheel thing with the puff pastry?

Delia does a cheese (cheddar) and anchovy thing as well for canapes

EachPeachPearMum Tue 23-Dec-08 23:06:28

Leftover turkey pie!
turkey and ham pie
chicken and sweetcorn pie
goats cheese tart with the puff

RGChristmasPargy Tue 23-Dec-08 23:08:43

Scruffy - that sounds a bit good! I might do some of those. I assume it's freezable once cooked??

Tinker - no dates and stilton.

EachPeach - turkey pie i think might be doable with a few lumps of veg chucked in.....

Keep 'em coming!

Grendle Tue 23-Dec-08 23:58:50

Mini chocolate pies

Ingredients

· Half a tub of soft cheese

· Juice of half an orange

· Teaspoon of finely grated orange zest (can omit)

· 100g dark chocolate and 1 heaped tablespoon of icing sugar OR 100g milk chocolate

· Shortcrust pastry

Equipment

3 mini muffin tins (or make in batches)

Small pastry cutter

Grease the muffin tins and then line with circles of pastry, rolled v thin and handled as little as possible.

Melt the chocolate in a bowl and mix all the other filling ingredients together with it. Beat until well mixed. Spoon the mixture into the cases, but don’t overfill. Cook at 200C until the pastry just starts to turn golden round the edges (about 10 mins0. Carefully remove to rack to cool. Dust with icing sugar and try not to eat all at once!

You can make your own variations with ginger, baileys etc.

Grendle Wed 24-Dec-08 00:03:58

this sort of tart is really yummy too.

Steak and guiness pie is nice

You can do lots of variations on this with the puff pastry

ScruffySoAndSo Wed 24-Dec-08 00:26:22

haven't frozen pasties (too greedy here) but have reheated and they are REAL comfort food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now