Talk

Advanced search

What can I do with minced lamb for a 7-month old?

(9 Posts)
Stagiaire Fri 25-Mar-05 21:03:04

I would like to introduce some meat into my 7-month old's diet. I've heard that lamb is the least allergenic meat so have bought some organic lamb mince but not really sure what to do with it. I'm vegetarian (but am going to allow my dd to make her own mind up about that) and don't really know how to cook meat. Any suggestions for what to do with the lamb mince and does anyone have any other easy meat recipes for 7-9 month olds?

happymerryberries Fri 25-Mar-05 21:05:33

Nice cooked with onions and apricots

moondog Fri 25-Mar-05 21:16:57

Also with onions tomatoes,a bit of cinammon and some raisins. Add to rice with a dollop of plain yoghurt.

dinny Fri 25-Mar-05 21:26:21

Staglaire - just interested where you read/heard it is least allergenic meat - presumably it is as it's so young and not yet full of antibiotics etc....?

tiffini Fri 25-Mar-05 21:29:30

to cook the mince it is best to boil it, that way it will be much softer, nice with a variety of veg & onion.

jackeroo Fri 25-Mar-05 21:37:24

i'd make a bolognaise sauce with it - blend it with pasta, chopped tomatoes, veggies and cheese.

Stagiaire Sat 26-Mar-05 10:51:36

Thanks for your suggestions. Will get busy in the kitchen!

Dinny - I was told about lamb being the least allergenic meat by a nutritionist. Not sure of the reason why though. I've noticed in Lucy Burney's book that lamb (as well as beef and pork) shoud only be given to children once a week as it is very high in saturated fat. I've also noticed that she has a recipe for using lamb mince so will give that a go too.

Newbarnsleygirlsinsaneknickers Sat 26-Mar-05 11:02:39

This is a good recipe from the Gina Ford book. It's great because you can freeze batches of the stuff. It's a favourite with my dd as well.

250g/9oz Lamb
25g/1oz unsalted butter
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
1 large leek, washed and thinly sliced
300ml/1/2 pint home made veg stock or water
420g/14oz can of chopped tomatoes
pinch of mixed dried herbs or 2 tsp chopped fresh herbs.

Wash the lamb under cold water and pat dry with kitchen cloth

Heat the butter in a casserole dish, and fry lamb until browned all over. Add the carrot and leek and cook for 5 mins, then add the stock, chopped tomatoes and herbs. Bring to the boil, cover, then lower the heat and simmer for 30-40 mins.

Serve mashed or finely chopped with pasta or rice.

Newbarnsleygirlsinsaneknickers Sat 26-Mar-05 11:03:15

Sorry forgot to add that should make 4-6 servings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now