Talk

Advanced search

Bulgar Wheat..?

(11 Posts)
unicorn Fri 25-Mar-05 17:47:05

I bought some ages ago, and still not sure what to do with it...

Ideas please!

Tinker Fri 25-Mar-05 17:55:23

You can cook it with small amount of boiling water and add cinnamon, sultanas/raisins, pine nuts and have it with something else or stuff some peppers with it.

myermay Fri 25-Mar-05 18:10:23

Message withdrawn

unicorn Fri 25-Mar-05 18:11:53

thanks tinks!
any other ideas?

I'm sure a pal made really nice veggi - burgers(???!!) with it once.. is that possible?

80sMum Fri 25-Mar-05 18:15:47

How about making tabouleh ? Makes a lovely addition to a healthy salad. Always reminds me of summer.

WideWebWitch Fri 25-Mar-05 18:50:43

Veg shepherds pie, hang on

WideWebWitch Fri 25-Mar-05 18:52:30

From veggie baby recipe book, I've never done veg gravy with it though.

"The texture of bulghar wheat is ideal for a shepherd's pie and adds extra nutrition to this tasty vegetarian version of a nursery favourite. Makes 6-8 portions.

50 g/2 oz bulghar wheat
2 medium courgettes, wiped, trimmed and diced
450 g/1 lb potatoes, peeled and cubed
a little butter and milk, for mashing
1 carrot, peeled and diced
30 ml/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 onion, finely chopped
200 g/7 oz can chopped tomatoes
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
30 ml/2 tablespoons tomato puree
175 g/6 oz button mushrooms, wiped and quartered
175 ml/6 fl oz vegetable stock
100 g/4 oz Cheddar cheese, grated

Place the bulghar wheat in a bowl, cover with boiling water and leave to stand for 15 minutes, or until the grain has absorbed the liquid. Stir well with a fork to fluff up. Boil the potatoes for about 15 minutes or until tender, drain and mash with a little butter and milk. Heat the oil, add the onion and garlic and fry until softened but not browned. Add the mushrooms, courgettes and carrot and continue frying for 2 minutes. Stir in the parsley, tomatoes, tomato puree and stock. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Add the soaked bulghar wheat to the vegetables, stir and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a shallow ovenproof dish and spread the mashed potato evenly on top, roughening the surface with a fork. Sprinkle the cheese over the top and bake in an oven preheated to 400°F (200°C) Gas Mark 6 for 30 minutes, or until golden. Serve with vegetarian gravy."

unicorn Wed 30-Mar-05 17:30:20

In the end I made the taboleh- and it was delicious... and felt very healthy!

Will try that shepherds pie recipe soon..

Thanks all.

unicorn Mon 04-Apr-05 16:28:54

just made the shepherds pie.. really yummy.. and, result!,the kids loved it too.

Ta again www!!

noddyholder Mon 04-Apr-05 16:31:20

is bulgar wheat cous cous?

unicorn Mon 04-Apr-05 16:34:09

it says cracked wheat- on the packet.
It seems very similar but cous couse is finer in texture.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now