Talk

Advanced search

fat free sponge cake ?

(7 Posts)
littlesqualker Fri 19-Dec-08 22:58:44

My mum is on a strict fat free diet, she loves xmas cake I would love to make her a kind of christmas cake with some spices etc can anyone help. She also has a high output stoma and cannot have any fruit or fibre. She is so limited as to what she can eat this would be such a treat.

MrsBadger Fri 19-Dec-08 23:06:43

The Nigella almond cake doesn;t have any added fat but is eggy and has lots of almonds, so probably has quite a bit of fat in it in total, iyswim. Here's the recipe anyway - a pinch each of ginger, allspice and cinnamon would make it smell christmassy, and/or you could glace ice it.

Whisk 6 egg yolks with 200g caster sugar till creamy, fold in 200g ground almonds and the zest of a lemon.
Whisk 6 egg whites in a anotehr bowl, beat a spoonful of white into the yolks and then fold the rest in gently.
Pour into a 1.5l tin (she uses a brioche tin but I don't have one so use a ring mould thing) and bake 1hr 160 C

littlesqualker Fri 19-Dec-08 23:11:24

Sounds great, but nuts are off the menu too, do you think I could substitute flour for the almonds?.

MrsBadger Fri 19-Dec-08 23:45:47

possibly - same proprtions but sligtyl different technique makes aswiss roll mixture

samsonara Fri 19-Dec-08 23:57:29

oh yes I was also goingto suggest a swiss roll and if you can't use jam, how about a spicy butter filing?

samsonara Fri 19-Dec-08 23:58:17

sorry no butter I meant fat free filling

MrsBadger Sat 20-Dec-08 00:04:54

I would say fill it with mincemeat but that'd have suet/raisins/other unstuitable things in it

Maybe add spices to apricot jam or to marmalade?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: