Talk

Advanced search

Please lovely mumsnet ladies, help put the finishing touches to my dinner party menu,

(12 Posts)
shinyshoes Fri 19-Dec-08 14:53:10

I'm throwing my first ever dinner party. It's a pre christmas dinner for 4 adults and 2 children,tomorrow night, please take a look and tell me what you think. grin

STARTER - Rocket and Parmesan ravioli, now shall I do this on a bed of rocket or spinach leaves? Do I toss in olive oil once done? (I shall give 4 squares per person.)

Main - lamb shanks, now, what veg shall I do, I was thinking cabbage,or shall I do steamed in foil in the oven veg, I was thinking of just doing this on the table so everyone can hel themselves from the tin foil, and also do I have mashed potato or not, or will it be too much because of the starter being a little heavy?

Dessert, a lemon tart or something similar

After eight mints and coffee.

Thanks alot ladies

TinselianAstra Fri 19-Dec-08 14:57:29

Sound lovely. You should definitely have some potato!

robinpud Fri 19-Dec-08 15:00:41

Starter- I think it needs a bit of green with it-porbably lightly wited baby spinach leaves- just a few. Sprinkle with fresh partmesan, but you need to serve it very quickly as otherwise it will be cold. Wamr the adults plates first.

For main course if you don't want mashed potatoes with lamb shaks which I personally love.. then you could do roasted pepers and courgettes and cous cous instead.

with lemon tart, serve some frozen raspberries

georgiemum Fri 19-Dec-08 15:03:45

Glass of Proseco to start with.

Ravioli might be a bit too heavy for a starter. Maybe just go with a light roquet salad with parmesan shavings (could pop on some griddled asparagus).

Lamb is lovely. Fancy spuds (dauphinoise maybe) with baby carrots and baby leeks. What about a sauce - apple? cranberry?

You neeeeeeeed and cheese board before the desert.

Lemon tart is fab! I do have a nice recipe for lemon curd ice cream if you want it (I can dig it out). You make it in the freezer (an ice cream maker won't work) and it is really easy and sooooo nice.

I find that a couple of desserts is lovely too - try quartering some figs and arranging on a nice plate then drizzle with honey and flaked almonds and a little chopped mint. Serve with some greek youghurt.

robinpud Fri 19-Dec-08 15:05:47

Nah- stick with the ravioli- they're not getting a lot and it's easy for you.

georgiemum Fri 19-Dec-08 15:06:41

Are you making the ravioli?

snowleopard Fri 19-Dec-08 15:06:57

Yum. With the lamb I would do roasted root veg - sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots, etc in the oven with olive oil and rosemary, also put in lots of whole peeled shallots. Also very easy because it all goes in the oven in a big tray, roast for 45 mins or so, no faffing.

oggsfrog Fri 19-Dec-08 15:15:01

Georgiemum - recipe for lemon curd ice cream please...

shinyshoes Fri 19-Dec-08 15:32:31

No I'm not making the ravioli, its courtesy of Marks and Spencer. grin

The lemon curd ice cream sounds yum. If it's not too much trouble I'd love the recipe{wink]

Didn't think about sauce with lamb, good point, I would love to make some but I think it's too much fafffing so i'll buy a jar, probably cranberry.

The roasted root veg sound divine, thanks for the tip. I will probably do this.

Also I didn't think of a cheese board, I agree it's a must, so I will buy a samll cheeseboard.

I will also do some mash.

Cheers all

georgiemum Fri 19-Dec-08 17:14:08

I generally make ice cream but last time I made this and it went down a treat:

Lemon Curd Ice Cream

100ml double cream
100ml lemon curd (shop bought is OK)

Whip cream until if forms stiff peaks
Add lemon curd and beat until well combined
Transfer to freezer container and still freeze for at least 6 hours

Still Freezing technique:
Pop ice cream into freezer for 1.5 hours (or until the sides and base are just frozen and the middle is still slushy)

Remove from freezer and beat (electric whisk or hand whisk) until smooth.

Cover mixture quickly and pop back into freezer.

Do this another 2 times at 1 - 1.5 hrs intervals.

After final beating, allow to freeze for at least 2 hours (or better still, overnight).

For the cheeseboard - buy the M&S 'try me for 99p' ones as the portion sizes are just the right size for 4 people and you can choose 4 or 5 nice types for the sme price as the ready packed boards.

snigger Fri 19-Dec-08 17:27:37

<<stares sadly into yesterdays reheated canneloni>>

Yeah.

Sounds good.

Whatever.

grin

georgiemum Sat 20-Dec-08 20:23:56

Come on let us know how it went!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now