Talk

Advanced search

Why children like to eat junk

(17 Posts)
bakedpotato Thu 24-Mar-05 12:54:40

interesting story here

iota Thu 24-Mar-05 12:56:28

Well I blame it on breastmilk - that's white - anyone know how to dye it?

HUNKERMUNKER Thu 24-Mar-05 12:57:43

Very interesting, BP. Sounds perfectly feasible to me - after all, we eat with our eyes first, don't we? Something may taste divine, but if it looks unpleasant, it is far less likely to make it to the mouth!

HUNKERMUNKER Thu 24-Mar-05 12:57:57

Eat beetroot, iota

iota Thu 24-Mar-05 12:58:23

why do 99% of children love chocolate then?

iota Thu 24-Mar-05 12:58:49

posts crossed hunker

laneydaye Thu 24-Mar-05 13:02:22

whatever next!

my ds was weaned on veggies never had the little pots, he loved broccoli and peas courgette etc..
what we ate he ate and his dads a vegetarian so lots of lovely fresh veg...

hes now 4 and wont touch veg......i have to hide it.
any child (given the chance) would prefer junk.

Hulababy Thu 24-Mar-05 13:02:31

What about sweets then? Many kids want sweets - but they aren't biege! More like lurid red, greens and yellows - and I don't know much baby food/drink that looks that colour!

And since when was formula milk biege coloured????

Freckle Thu 24-Mar-05 13:03:27

Not sure that theory holds water. My children were weaned onto normal foods -not sure I ever bought a rusk. They had carrots, sweet potato, etc., all fairly highly coloured. Of course, they had "beige" foods too, including apple, parsnip, etc.

DS1 is a fairly good eater, but only since he started having school lunches and saw his peers eating different foods. DS2 is a nightmare to feed, sticking with tried and trusted foods - which he then decides he doesn't want on a particular day. DS3 is getting better but sometimes chooses to emulate DS2.

tarantula Thu 24-Mar-05 13:05:05

was just gonna say that Hulababy Dont get much more garish than cheap nasty sweets.
also most kids will eat peas and they are jsut as green as broccoli.

katzguk Thu 24-Mar-05 13:05:46

my DD won't touch weetabix - the ultimate beige food!!!

iota Thu 24-Mar-05 13:06:41

anyay, isn't most baby-food orange?

katzguk Thu 24-Mar-05 13:07:22

she also won't eat brocolli but offer her baby trees (i.e brocolli) and she wolf them down!! (she's is only 2.5)

suedonim Thu 24-Mar-05 15:36:32

17yo dd1 heard about this article and says I must have given her a good diet when she was younger as she liked all sorts of coloured food now. Does this mean I've done something right, for once???

I suspect that although lots of us have children who seem to go against what this research says, we need to take the long term view. Certainly dd1 was pretty fussy for many years but as a teenager she now eats just about everything.

Noggermum Thu 24-Mar-05 15:48:57

Interesting article, not sure bears out in practice! have been lucky with DD1 -was weaned on home cooked veggies etc and now loves her broccoli, but given the choice would survive on "bic bics" and "choc choc" despite the fact that she certainly wasn't exposed to any of that at a young age! Think the article omits the enormity of peer pressure - if your 5 year old likes greens but is ridiculed at school for eating it, you don't stand a chance.....

sasa15 Fri 01-Apr-05 21:21:33

I'm not english...and I was not allowed to have biscuits and choc in the house...I only had when we were going other people house...and under permission....we don't eat crisp in my country...only in a birthday party....

grow up with homemade food and jars too...
Didn't eat much veg until teenager,,,

Since I arrived in London I stuffed myself with junk...waiting for the tube......or bus...

I'm back now to ealthy diet,,,detox from all...
and I can live without it......

I'll try to ban junk in the house for ds....

rogan2001 Fri 01-Apr-05 22:27:59

my ds was weaned on all fruit and veg and loved them, now aged 3.3yrs won't eat any apart from bananas. did lick a carrot the other day but promptly spat out and said don't like that, he used to love them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now