Talk

Advanced search

Who read"The Foul Truth About Chicken" in Tuesdays Mail??

(11 Posts)
dropinthe Thu 24-Mar-05 08:31:23

I'm really concerned that the article highlighted that even free-range and organic birds end up being processed in the same factorys as all others. The scald tanks where they are all dipped to scald the skin and loosen the feathers is full of faeces and only gets changed once a day and is only 52C ,the temperature that salmonella and campylobacter thrive.Half of the chicken sold in the uk supermarkets is infected with this last disease which causes a nasty food poisoning with severe,bloody diarrhoea.
Maybe this is why we and our children are suffering from so many stomach bugs lately-I have had three in three months!!
God,is anything safe to eat??

Sonnet Thu 24-Mar-05 09:30:16

hi,
Didn't see this article - read Mondays and am about to read yesterdays on salad.

Think the whole food industry needs a shake up!

marthamoo Thu 24-Mar-05 09:49:36

Didn't see the artcle but, tbh, I treat any chicken I cook as potentially dangerous - I am so careful with it - separate boards, knives, much hand washing: I'm bordering on neurotic. And I probably over cook it too - but I reckon that's better than undercooking. So long as you are really careful with preparation and cooking salmonella and camylobacter are not a problem.

Agree though - vegetarianism is much more appealing when you read what is going on in abattoirs and meat processing factories.

JoolsToo Thu 24-Mar-05 09:50:56

I don't read the The Mail [rolls eyes]

marthamoo Thu 24-Mar-05 09:52:51

Liar, liar, pants on fire.

JoolsToo Thu 24-Mar-05 09:54:56

Moi?

suzywong Thu 24-Mar-05 10:04:03

never eat chicken, it's all this and those beady eyes and scaly feet in combination, it's just not right <shudder>

wobblyknicks Thu 24-Mar-05 10:05:49

I freely admit I read the Mail . Saw that article, made me want to puke, especially the picture. Luckily we've got a good farmers market that has a farm butcher and they raise all the animals themselves, and send them off to a local abattoir, which admittedly I've never been to but I believe him when he says its nothing like the huge commercial ones. Granted, all the meat is more expensive than in the supermarket but it tastes miles better and free-range etc.

JoolsToo Thu 24-Mar-05 10:08:40

actually there were quite a few good articles that day - all lies though

wobblyknicks Thu 24-Mar-05 10:09:29

lol JT!!

tarantula Thu 24-Mar-05 10:15:32

I obviously have a sensible dd then cos she wont eat chicken at all think Ill have to set up a chicken run in the garden next to the veggie patch now. Is there any food at all thats safe tho? Seems to me that there is a scare every week.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: