Talk

Advanced search

Good recipe for fudge without unobtainable ingredients?

(16 Posts)
VersdeSociete Tue 16-Dec-08 09:21:47

OK, the DCs and I have ambitious plan to cast off our fluiness and make homemade fudge for teachers' gifts. But the only recipe I can find in my small but crappy library of cookbooks is American and wants ingredients like corn syrup. Anyone got a lovely fudge recipe with only ingredients obtainable in Tescos? Many thanks

ChirpyGrinch Tue 16-Dec-08 09:28:05

Try this thread has some good recipes that we used last year and easy to play with.
We used white choc and cranberry and then played around and had dark choc and satsuma and milk choc and pistachio as well, very yummy!

Amapoleon Tue 16-Dec-08 09:30:14

We made a fudgey type recipe the other day with marshmallows, icing sugar and butter. If you are interested I will look out the recipe.

courvoisierbrandycreamolafoam Tue 16-Dec-08 09:32:59

this is the recipe i always use it make the crumbly kind of fudge

boogeek Tue 16-Dec-08 09:33:27

I did this James Martin one recently - is very nice (and disappeared in record time) but more like tablet than fudge IMO so no good if you want a soft chewy one.

VersdeSociete Tue 16-Dec-08 09:34:24

Ooh some excellent things, Grinch, and the marshmallow one sounds good also Amop. It is an excellent time for baking as have no sense of taste due to bug and so will not be able to eat all of the fudge before it is packed up in some of the DC's superfluous pottery projects. May have to ear face mask and rubber gloves whilst baking though...

VersdeSociete Tue 16-Dec-08 09:35:33

er, "wear". Those sound good too. I may make them all. Thanks muchly

ChirpyGrinch Tue 16-Dec-08 10:26:25

I'm not openeing the other recipes as I am stuck in teh hosue today (well, not stuck, but it's too miserable for parkgrin) and if I have ingredients I will amke and eat it all!

mmm Nigella's pistachio fudge. IIRC it was only a bar of dark chocolate, a tin of condensed milk - all warmed together, stir in the nuts and pour into a tin to set !

Very yummy and adding ingredients to my shopping list now !!

pookamoo Tue 16-Dec-08 10:39:58

Corn syrup is the same as golden syrup IIRC.
Hope this helps!

ChirpyGrinch Tue 16-Dec-08 10:40:24

Thank FECK I dont have any condensed milk in the house!

boogeek Tue 16-Dec-08 11:30:20

The James Martin one doesn't use condensed milk... wink

VersdeSociete Tue 16-Dec-08 12:28:39

I think corn syrup might be clear unlike golden syrup. Someone once suggested to me liquid glucose was same thing but am not sure if that is right. Anything with condensed milk in gets my vote...

ChirpyGrinch Tue 16-Dec-08 13:57:26

<fingers in ears>

lalalalalal, I can't hear you!

<tried desperately not to open links>

pigleypudding Tue 16-Dec-08 18:14:52

this is piss easy! You make it in the mircowave... A crumbly tablet like fudge

grin

CuddlyUnderTheMistletoe Tue 16-Dec-08 18:30:11

I have used this one for years:
1/2 pint of full milk, 1lb sugar boiled in a heavy bottomed pan til soft ball stage.
Stir in 2oz unsalted butter and 4oz chocolate and 2tsp vanilla essence and pour into a lightly greased tray. Leave to set and try not to eat all at once.
You can substitute the vanilla for rum and add rasins or any other interesting extra you fancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now