Talk

Advanced search

12 KG pound gammon - how to cook it? What to do with it?

(7 Posts)
monkeysmama Mon 15-Dec-08 20:20:18

I have been given a 12KG gammon. There are only 2 of us so I am not sure a.) how to cook it and b.) what to do with it once we've eaten our fill!

Thanks

MM smile

santasinmywaistband Mon 15-Dec-08 20:21:01

omg thats one massive ham

bigTillyMint Mon 15-Dec-08 20:22:18

Can you cut it in half and freeze it? (I have NO experience with gammon, save for the gammon and pineapple my mum used to serve up in the 70's!)

lou031205 Mon 15-Dec-08 20:42:22

Cut the ham to a reasonable size.

Put in a large pan & soak over night in cold water (preferably change water a couple of times).

On day, change water again, add 2tbsps brown sugar & bring slowly to boil, then simmer for about 30 minutes, skimming scum off water top.

Remove and cover in foil. Put in preheated oven at 160 degrees fan/180 conv. for 25mins/lb + 25 mins.

Remove & increase heat to 200. Remove foil. Carefully cut off skin & score fat in kriss-cross pattern. Glaze with mixture of melted marmalade & a little mustard. Layer thin slices of orange over fat, held in place with cloves.

Return to oven for 40 minutes.

Allow to rest for 20 mins before carving - looks impressive & delicious!

monkeysmama Mon 15-Dec-08 21:03:31

Lou031205 - it is currently residing in the freezer. Any idea how long I will need to defrost it for? And, if I want to only cook half of it should I defrost it all then re freeze the other half (I think this is dangerous?) or try and cut it while it is frozen?

What would you cook with it?

Thanks very much!

JillJ72 Mon 15-Dec-08 21:10:51

Last year I had a gammon (not that big!) and covered it with slices of orange, speared with cloves. Will be repeating it this year. Have hot or cold, with mash or veg or chutneys and cheeses.

Freeze what you don't want to have now, otherwise cook the whole thing, then cut into sections and freeze each bit, defrost what you require when you want. Do not defrost and refreeze without cooking!!!

santasinmywaistband Tue 16-Dec-08 13:49:08

You can cook it all and freeze large chunks or slices.

Do not refreeze unless cooked

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: