Talk

Advanced search

Pasta or rice salad suggestions please

(10 Posts)
likessleep Mon 15-Dec-08 13:41:52

I have been asked to bring a pasta or rice salad to family buffet.
I am lacking inspiration - any suggestions very gratefully received - thanks

Iklboo Mon 15-Dec-08 13:42:59

I'd cheat and get a couple of packs of savoury rice grin

likessleep Mon 15-Dec-08 13:45:11

yeah, that's what i've done before at my own do's, but i feel a bit like i should make a bit more of an effort at someone else's grin

TheDevilWearsPrimark Mon 15-Dec-08 13:45:48

Roast veg and harissa cous cous?

basementbear Mon 15-Dec-08 13:46:37

Pasta twists with mayo, tuna and sweetcorn always seems to go down well. Add a bit of finely chopped raw onion too if you like it.

Another easy one is pasta shapes with sundried tomatoes, olives, basil and chopped up salami/chorizo. Just use a bit of the oil from the sundried tomatoes for the dressing and some black pepper.

likessleep Mon 15-Dec-08 13:47:16

can that be made with rice? my grandparents are quite traditional in their tastes and i think cous cous might be a bit too 'out there' ... what is harissa? (am i being very dense?)

likessleep Mon 15-Dec-08 13:49:04

thanks basement, that sounds lovely.
<frantically goes to get pen and paper>

Iklboo Mon 15-Dec-08 13:49:29

Cook rice with a stock cube in the water (chicken or veg), add chopped coooked chicken, peppers, mushrooms, red onion etc

mum2samandalex Mon 15-Dec-08 17:30:13

boil rice, meanwhile fry some oil in a pan and add some frozen oriental stirfry mix add any extra mushrooms, peppers or sweetcorn if disired maybe onion. Add a can of chopped tomatoes simmer then mix in rice. Salt and pepper and alow to cool. yummy

Salleroo Mon 15-Dec-08 17:47:35

Really easy tasty rice salad. Cook rice, add tumeric (half teaspoon) to cooking water to turn rice yellow. Drain and cool. You want the rice just done with a tiny bite, otherwise this will be sludge.

Dice cucumber, a red pepper and get some sultanas. I dont know how much you are making, maybe two peppers if its for a lot of people and half a cucumber diced, a cup of sultanas. Half that for less.

Then mix some olive oil, lemon juice 2:1, crushed garlic to taste, some salt and pepper. Shake up the dressing. Add the dressing and the rest to the cold rice and mix well. Taste to see if it needs more salt/pepper. Delicious!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now