Talk

Advanced search

Nigella's ham in coke-What type of gammon-smoked or unsmoked?

(12 Posts)
faithandhope Mon 15-Dec-08 12:18:15

Am doing my tesco christmas order online and need to know what type of gammon I need for Nigellas ham in coke recipe please.

The recipe asks for mild cured.

I can only see smoked or unsmoked.

Could someone explain which one would be best,thanks.

OP’s posts: |
SexyDomesticatedDad Mon 15-Dec-08 12:22:13

Either will work - depends on your personal tastes - are you serving those who prefer smoked to unsmoked bacon? Maybe to be on the safeside just go unsmoked (have done both in past). Cherry coke is fab too - just adds that extra touch.

TheChristmasArmadillo Mon 15-Dec-08 12:24:11

I use smoked - but some can be a bit salty, but you can soak them to get rid of that.

I think smoked tends to have a much better flavour.

I use the ham in coke recipe - though over time I've cut it down to just boiling the ham in coke and cutting out all teh other stuff grin

faithandhope Mon 15-Dec-08 12:40:04

I usually go for smoked bacon but don't want it too end up too salty.

How long would I need to soak it for before hand?

Also the recipe says to bake for 10 mins,is that right?

Does'nt seem long enough.

Have I read it correctly?

Sory ,complete novice here ,never baked a gammon before.

TheChristmasArmadillo Mon 15-Dec-08 13:48:35

soak for about 1hr in cold water.

You only need to roast it for a tiny bit cos it is actually cooked during the boiling in coke. The roasting part is just to glaze it - so only as long as it takes to melt/caramalise the honey or whatever you are using.

faithandhope Mon 15-Dec-08 14:31:57

Thanks for that,will give it a go.smile

roundcornvirgin Mon 15-Dec-08 14:32:37

I use unsmoked. Mmmmm haven't done that for ages.

mazzer12 Mon 15-Dec-08 15:03:10

Hi there, Do you get the Gammon on the bone. Am trying this on boxing day and dont have the time to do a dry run before hand. Just so I understand then -

Its Raw Ham
It needs to be soaked if Salted (if my guests prefer unsalted bacn!)
It's gorgeous once done!

Thanks Maz

SexyDomesticatedDad Mon 15-Dec-08 16:58:00

Get one boned out - much easier to carve!

If you thinks its too salty a quick way is to put it on pan with cold water, bring to boil for a few mins then drain all the water and replace with coke etc. Generally don't bother to pre-soak an unsmoked type gammon (once its cooked it becomes ham).

RubyrubytheRubynosedReindeer Mon 15-Dec-08 16:59:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

skyla1 Tue 19-Dec-17 20:41:42

Hi, can I cook my gammon the day before Christmas and oven bake on Christmas day, anyone?

Eeeeek2 Wed 20-Dec-17 10:14:09

Don’t know put what about the slow cooker? Put in pan of water bring to the boil for 5 minuets and then put in slow cooker with coke for 5 hours(ish) on low. Then finish off in oven.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »