Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

unsalted stock

(14 Posts)
ja9 Tue 22-Mar-05 21:27:22

am weaning my 6.5mth ds. annabel karmel says you can buy unsalted veg and chicken stock made up in cartons in supermarkets, but i can't find any. have looked in sainsburys, asda, morrisons and tesco to no avail.. can anyone help?

i'm really too lazy to make it myself

mmmmchocolate Tue 22-Mar-05 21:46:05

Also been looking couldn't find any so just resorted to using normal (bad mummy)...

OldieMum Tue 22-Mar-05 21:52:59

We use Marigold Swiss Bouillon powder, low salt version. It still has salt, but less than many other brands. Waitrose and Tesco sell it.

phatcat Tue 22-Mar-05 21:57:58

I second the Marigold low salt stock powder - it's fab. Health food shops also tend to stock it. I'm fairly sure that Kallo also do a low salt version stock cube.

MissGalway Tue 22-Mar-05 22:22:57

It is really easy to make stock yourself. If you really want to use a stock cube I am sure I saw a thread on it here and Kallo was the one most recommended.

pabla Tue 22-Mar-05 22:28:09

Yes Kallo do a low-salt version but only for vegetable stock. I haven't been able to find any chicken/beef/lamb that are low-salt. I can't see why Joubiere, etc have to add salt to their's - from what i remember, most recipies for stock say you shouldn't add salt until you are actually using it in your casserole or whatever.

MissGalway Tue 22-Mar-05 22:43:15

I have def seen chicken as well.

gingernut Tue 22-Mar-05 22:52:37

I don't think Kallo make low salt meat stock, only vegetable. But I use the veg stock cubes for meat dishes anyway - it tastes OK IMO.

tassis Wed 23-Mar-05 08:40:17

I used water, milk or the cooking liquid from the veg for Annabel's recipes. Never made stock unless we'd had a chicken when I'd boil up the bones. Reckon life's too short...

Waswondering Wed 23-Mar-05 13:36:02

I too am far, far too lazy to make my own. I used water!!

LizP Thu 24-Mar-05 00:02:57

Some of the low salt stock powders contain peanut - something to watch out for if you want to avoid them under 1 year.

evasmom Thu 24-Mar-05 11:04:35

this drove me crazy when I wanted to do the recipes in Annabel's book but did eventually find the Kallo low salt veg stock in Asda its with the "free from" range in our store.

jackeroo Thu 24-Mar-05 12:31:23

you can also find it in many health food shops like holland and barratt... (veg only though)...

Sponge Thu 24-Mar-05 12:36:38

I'd be very wary of using the normal stuff for a baby and even a low salt variety contains some salt. Just use water, veg cooking water, milk, orange juice etc depending on recipe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now