Talk

Advanced search

Bl**dy Babybel, I could spit!

(21 Posts)
Heathcliffscathy Tue 22-Mar-05 19:25:14

ds is allergic to cows milk, so imagine my delight (yes my life is this sad and empty) when i found Goats variety Babybel in the supermarket this afternoon. ds was just putting some in his mouth when I read the small print: Goats variety babybel is 10% goats milk, rest is cows!!!!!!!!!!! it should say goats flavour shouldn't it??

Caligula Tue 22-Mar-05 19:26:49

Yes it bloody should.

Wondered what a thread with this title could possibly be about, Sophable!

Heathcliffscathy Tue 22-Mar-05 19:33:27

if he was properly allergic, it could be awful. i have a massive problem that it seems to me that they're targeting parents who give their children a cows milk free diet...i'm so cross about it...almost cross enough to write to them/waitrose...

SoupDragon Tue 22-Mar-05 19:34:10

Write to Baby Bel!

giraffeski Tue 22-Mar-05 19:36:02

Message withdrawn

giraffeski Tue 22-Mar-05 19:36:29

Message withdrawn

Ameriscot2005 Tue 22-Mar-05 19:40:19

Thought from the title that this thread was going to be about those blasted red wax strips that get glued to your floors

You would think that something calling itself "goats' variety" would be 100% goats'. I'm intrigued as to what the point of it is, if it's only 10%. Does it have a noticeably different flavour, especially to child consumers? Or is it just a ploy to get extra shelf space in the supermarket?

Heathcliffscathy Tue 22-Mar-05 19:41:07

or 'it is to goats milk what sunny delight is to orange juice' except that sunny d doesn't call itself orange juice delight does it?

OldieMum Tue 22-Mar-05 20:04:54

DD started calling it 'Jingle Bells' cheese at Christmas and still does now.

Heathcliffscathy Tue 22-Mar-05 20:08:24

Ameriscot, imo it's a cynical attempt to get the increasing numbers of parents who have cows milk allergies in their households to buy it, and that's why i'm furious.

have written the following to them via their UK website:

I found your Goats variety babybel in waitrose today and bought two packs. I was delighted as my toddler is allergic to cows milk.

The cheese was half way into his mouth when I read on the small print of the label that the product only contains 10% goats milk, the rest cows.

This is both irresponsible and dangerous. This cheese is not labelled Goats flavour, and both the name and packaging give the impression that this is a Goats cheese version of Babybel.

My child gets severe eczema when he ingests cows milk, but there are far more serious allergies.

I must insist that you change the packaging on this product post haste. I will not hesitate in taking this further, should your speedy response, and appropriate action not be forthcoming.

Yours sincerely

Sophie Holborow

GeorginaA Wed 23-Mar-05 09:58:04

Well done sophable - would be interested in any response you get. That's blatantly irresponsible labelling

Can you copy the letter to the food standards agency (is it them that deals with labelling too?)

marthamoo Wed 23-Mar-05 10:03:49

That's appalling, sophable - imagine if something like peanut butter was labelled in the same way - good luck with your letter.

SoupDragon Wed 23-Mar-05 10:16:10

Good letter!

marthamoo Wed 23-Mar-05 10:17:26

Or Vegetable Sausages (10% vegetable, 90% meat)?

suzywong Wed 23-Mar-05 10:19:36

Cracking letter!

but you forgot to put "Harumphhh" after you name

WideWebWitch Wed 23-Mar-05 12:09:15

Let us know what response you get. Bad labelling, I agree.

bobbybob Thu 24-Mar-05 03:51:34

Nutella is another one - mostly peanut oil - but that never gets mentioned in the adverts or one the front of the pack when they are going on about hazelnuts.

I think that is shocking about the goats milkish cheese. I found a soy cheese and was really excited but then discovered that the soy just replaces the fattier component of the cheese and there is still milk to flavour.

I hope you get a good response.

spagblog Thu 24-Mar-05 07:52:30

Nutella - peanut oil
Good grief. I have been giving that to my DD since she was 18mnths, and have been holding off the peanut butter until she turns 5!
Well, I guess she doesn't have an allergy then!

GeorginaA Thu 24-Mar-05 08:40:35

I was just thinking that too, spagblog.

bobbybob Thu 24-Mar-05 09:10:47

Maybe we should post both of these under allergies as well in case people don't realise.

CarolinaMoon Thu 24-Mar-05 10:07:02

at Nutella! i was meticulous about not having peanut products while pg but ate a load of nutella crepes while on holiday, 8mths pg, obviously not realising. damn them!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now