Talk

Advanced search

bloody ice cube trays

(15 Posts)
nailpolish Tue 22-Mar-05 16:06:50

have just started this week introducing 'food' to dd2 - have pureed fruit and veg, big portions, so have frozen them all in ice cube trays.

its driving me nuts getting the ice cubes out - any tips?

with dd1 i had these flexi trays that the cubes could be pushed out of, but i chucked them thinking i could just get more if i needed them, like now, but cant find them i the shops

have already broken one tray

please help before i smash them to pieces!

charellie Tue 22-Mar-05 16:10:19

I used to have the same problem. Lakeland sell the flexi trays and you can buy online but you have to pay postage. I think John Lewis also sell them

nailpolish Tue 22-Mar-05 16:11:20

great, thanks

Titania Tue 22-Mar-05 16:12:02

run the back of them under a warm tap for a few seconds first. they pop out a lot easier.

bundle Tue 22-Mar-05 16:13:01

the flexi ones are quite cheap in ikea

chipmonkey Tue 22-Mar-05 16:14:45

If you run tapwater over the bottom of the cube you want to remove that should loosen it. \link(http://www.thebabycatalogue.co.uk\ this website) does ice cube trays with lids for baby food, maybe more flexible because they're built for the purpose?

nailpolish Tue 22-Mar-05 16:15:22

cheers! ill stop hammering them off the worktop now

Titania Tue 22-Mar-05 16:15:45

i popped all off them out in one go and put them in a sealed tuppaware box in the freezer then took them out as i needed them

NotQuiteCockney Tue 22-Mar-05 16:20:32

All out in one go definately works better - means you don't need so many ice cube trays either.

Kayleigh Tue 22-Mar-05 16:29:22

I used to pop them all out in one go too. Then store in freezer bags.

Sponge Tue 22-Mar-05 17:03:40

I pop them out in one go as well.
But also, run cold water over the bottom of the tray to loosen and then slide a knife down the side of each cube and they pop out easily. Much easier than pushing them out.

mumofelise Tue 22-Mar-05 17:11:01

ikea use to do rubber trays

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Tue 22-Mar-05 17:12:33

I go for the knife option every time. Cold water to loosen, knife down the side then all out and into a freezer bag. Bl**dy ice cube trays. I was so happy when I moved on to little pots. A really good buy is the tiny plastic pudding pots from Lakeland. Perfect for freezing and the top levers off. 1/4 pint pot

Newbarnsleygirl Tue 22-Mar-05 17:32:51

I just used to ram a knife down the them but I never had the flexi ones at the time.

I got some later from the co-op.

donnie Tue 22-Mar-05 18:13:45

I too had this annoying problem. In the end I used the press on lids for avent bottles and also youghurt pots to freese stuff in , and I still do.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: